We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 4/26-4/29

Birmingham...
5 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report 4/26-4/29

I love reading trip reports so I thought I would share about our short girls weekend in the mountains.

The ride up was uneventful until we made it into Sevierville where there were tornado/thunderstom warnings. We finally made it to the cabin on Wears Valley Rd in P.F. complements of my friends company, backed the car in and as we were getting out it started hailing. Imagine 3 ladies in a car while it's hailing made for some great audio on the camera! Once it stopped we unloaded and ate lunch in the cabin. After checking the weather we decided to stay in and rest until time for dinner. We went to one of my favorite places Smokey Mountain Brewery (in P.F.) and all had the philly cheesesteak. I love their fries too and the pretzel's w/ beer cheese dip. Yum! Service was great. After dinner it was still raining so we just drove up the strip in Gatlinburg to check things out and back down. We made a stop by the grocery store to pick up some cookies an The Help out of the redbox. Great girls movie. Thankfully, we only had bad weather the one night. The rest of the weekend was gorgeous!

On Friday we got up and headed to the Pancake Pantry for breakfast. I had the sweat potato pancakes and hash-browns which were both good as usual. After breakfast we headed up into the park to hike Clingmons dome. I haven't hiked Clingomns dome since I was 12 and the others had never hiked it. On our way back down we saw a mom and her two cubs. The first of 13 bears we saw over the weekend! After that we went to Chimney Tops picnic area and had a picnic. Very nice area! After our picnic we went into a few stores at the top of the strip and then headed back to the cabin to rest and clean up before dinner. Before dinner we headed to the Christmas Tree place to buy our matching personalized girls trip ornaments. We had dinner at the Old Mill Restaurant. I had the chicken and dumplin's and pecan pie. Both were awesome as always.

On Saturday we got up had granola bars for breakfast and headed to Cades Cove. At the entrance of Cades Cove there was a young bear eating on side the road. I love Cades Cove, such a peaceful place. We saw several bears and a few turkeys, but we didn't see any deer. After leaving Cades Cove we accidentally passed the picnic area we were stopping at so we ended back up at Chimney Tops for our picnic since it was the closest to us. After our picnic we went on Roaring Fork Motor trail. We came up to a mom and her little cub napping in a tree. The little cub was sooo cute w/ his legs dangling from the tree. A little further up we saw a mom and two cubs in a tree. One of the cubs almost fell out of the tree b/c he went too far on a flimsy limb. We stopped and hiked Grotto Falls. I've hiked Abrahms Falls and Laurel falls before, but I think Grotto has been my favorite. On the way up we saw a black snack sleeping in some brush. The waterfall was full and beautiful. On our way back down we stopped to check out the snake some more and then a little further down we came up on a young bear eating in the woods. It was too late after we went hiking to go back to the cabin so we headed to Gatlinburg and walked the strip before eating dinner. We ate at Bubba Gump's. That was my first time eating there and I was impressed w/ the food and service. I had a pasta shrimp pesto dish that was really good. After dinner we headed back to the cabin for our last night.

We got up early Sunday morning and headed to the Apple Barn to buy some apple butter and had fried apple pies for breakfast before heading home. I can't wait to come back and do some more hiking!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
830 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 4/26-4/29

What a great trip report. How fortunate you were to see so many bears on one visit, we're lucky to see one. Wonder if that was a record of bear sightings on one trip? Thanks for sharing your trip. Some of us are trip report addicts.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
497 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 4/26-4/29

So jealous of seeing all the bears. My fiance and I were there for 9 days in March and didn't see one. That would of been the highlight of our trip. We did see plenty of Turkey and deer though in Cades Cove and Roaring Fork.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 4/26-4/29

It sounds like you guys had a great trip. Thanks for the report!

Alexandria,AL
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 4/26-4/29

Great report...I'm so glad you guys got out in the park!

Kodak, Tennessee
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 4/26-4/29

It sounded like a fun filled girls trip to me. So glad you were able to spend time in the park. So many folks come to the area and never even step foot in the park. Thanks for the TR.

Madison, AL
Level Contributor
406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 4/26-4/29

Great trip report!!! So jealous you got to see all the bears! Sounds like you had a lot of fun with your friends! We can't wait to get back there!

7. Re: Trip Report 4/26-4/29

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:42