We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly Fishing in the Streams

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fly Fishing in the Streams

Just wondering if there were any fly fisherman nearby. If so, maybe you would like to share some info on best times and where to snag a few.

Will be visiting the area in May, and might get some time to wet my line.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
673 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly Fishing in the Streams

Most of the local fishermen will "give up" their favorite fishing holes.

The City of Gatlinburg stocks the Little Pigeon River every Thursday. There are 2 or 3 trout "holes" in the river across the street from our place. Every fisherman that has stayed with us has caught fish there.

People that fish outside of Gatlinburg may have a little better scenery, but they never catch as many fish!!

Marshall, North...
Level Contributor
384 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly Fishing in the Streams

I havent seen so many fishermen as I did yesterday!!!! They were all on the strip fishing right there in the river in front of the aquarium!!!!! They were catching them left and right!!!

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly Fishing in the Streams

LSL: Well, I just might put your prediction to the test. What about fly fishing supplies in the area, if you are so familiar with the sport. Just want quick information to checkout the place.

Also, why is it that GB releases the fish on Thursday? Fish agency secret?

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly Fishing in the Streams

bigorange: Well, I would imagine someone from Slidell would know the kind of fish they were catching. Was it Trout or another variety of whatever they release on Thursday.

How is it in Asheville.

Things here in New Orleans are still a mess. People are just not returning as they were expected to for whatever reason they were expected to suddenly just return. There are jobs available, but the housing is a problem. Its like a catch 22.

Oh well, hope you are doing fine in Asheville.

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly Fishing in the Streams

I agree with bigorange. We were there over the weekend and walking up River Rd. there were guys all over the place fishing. One walked past my daughter and I and almost slapped her with a string of about 6 fish. Scared her to death.

Marshall, North...
Level Contributor
384 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly Fishing in the Streams

Im pretty sure it was trout. Didnt realize you lived in NO. Yea, its a mess. My whole family is still living in it. We were the only one to leave. I dont know how they are doing it!!! Asheville is great but I do miss my house!!

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly Fishing in the Streams

Thanks for the info. on Trout fishing in the streams of GB.

Guess I'll have to brush up on my fishing skills, especially the fly variety. Not much of that around here, mostly salt water gear etc., and bigger prey.

Thanks again for the prompt as usual responses to all my questions.

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
673 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly Fishing in the Streams

I haven't aksed the guys at the Trout Farm, but I assume they release the trout on Thursdays so the stream is fresh for the week-end. Of course the city does this to get the fishermen to stay in Gatlinburg!!

There are several shops that sell gear and arrange guided fishing trips, or you can just get everything you need at the ACE hardware store on 321.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fly Fishing in the Streams

LSL: These fishers in GB, and I understand this is right down on the strip, are they using any kind of bait on the line? Are there any protected species of trout in the streams.

Of course I understand that the trout being released would not be the protected species, but what about the method of fishing, and are they using bait to catch the released trout?

Thanks for the reply.

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
673 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fly Fishing in the Streams

They release the trout at the southern end of Gatlinburg and the fishing is good all of the way through town and I imagine all the way to Pigeon Forge and maybe beyond.

The fishermen that have stayed with us were all using flys. I imagine you could use a regular rod with bait, but I am not a fisherman so don't take my word for it! :)