We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghost Town In The Sky-Maggie Valley, NC.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ghost Town In The Sky-Maggie Valley, NC.

Read on one of the sites about the attraction called Ghost Town in the Sky, located in Maggie Valley, NC. The site stated it was closed for the 2005 season.

Just wondering if anyone has any info on the attraction there. Is it worthwhile etc.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,679 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghost Town In The Sky-Maggie Valley, NC.

It's a small amusement park located literally on the side of the mountain. You park at the bottom of the mountain, then take a "chair lift" up to the park. I think there may be other ways up, but the chair lift is the main transport up there.

They have a few rides and what they call a "one of a kind" roller coaster, but its really not that big a deal. Just a neat concept to stick an amusement park literally on the side of a mountain.

I have no idea what the cost is.

Marshall, North...
Level Contributor
384 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghost Town In The Sky-Maggie Valley, NC.

I think its closed down for good. Not 100% but I remember hearing that a while ago. I passed it today and it was not open but lots of things in that area dont open yet.

alabama
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghost Town In The Sky-Maggie Valley, NC.

Closed and for sale per their website.

alabama
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghost Town In The Sky-Maggie Valley, NC.

At least Santa's Land is still in business(: Ahh cheesy memories of childhood.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ghost Town In The Sky-Maggie Valley, NC.

Latest rumors say they have found a buyer that is willing to keep the property as a park. Maybe it will be back open next year.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ghost Town In The Sky-Maggie Valley, NC.

Well, went back to look up info. on this site, and it apparently has been closed at least 2 years. Never got the original page which stated the place had been closed the entire 2005 season, but found another that stated it was closed for the 2004 season.

I guess this site needs to update its web site, and eliminate the places that no longer exist. Maybe I will try and ask them the question.

Anyhow, thanks for the usual prompt and courteous responses to some of my rather mundane questions.

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ghost Town In The Sky-Maggie Valley, NC.

I remember going to Ghost Town 30 or 35 years ago as I was a young kid. Back when Ghost Town and Goldrush Junction (later Silver Dollar City then Dollywood) were about the only attractions unless a small fair was passing through Maryville. Ghot Town had those cheesy gunfights through town. Of course at my age I thought it was pretty cool back then.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ghost Town In The Sky-Maggie Valley, NC.

cgshot: Well, the site I viewed actually has mention of the gunfights. This attracted my attention, as it conjured up memories of the Old West.

Thanks for the nostalgic bit.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ghost Town In The Sky-Maggie Valley, NC.

I have also heard somone bought htis place and plans on opening it very soon.

Its really a cool park

"They have a few rides and what they call a "one of a kind" roller coaster,"

It is a one of a kind coaster. Just look at the way the loop was built. Nothing like it really. The design was completly original for its time and even today.

If it opens I would definatly recommend checkin it out. Maggie Valley needs the visitors once again!