We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haunted houses?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
22 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Haunted houses?

I have read several reviews on both the Ripley's Haunted House and the Mysterious Mansion of Gatlinburg. Some reviews are really bad and some are really good for both. I can't decide which one is better. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!!

1. Re: Haunted houses?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2012, 01:17
Edited: 14 August 2012, 01:17
2. Re: Haunted houses?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

3. Re: Haunted houses?

new york
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haunted houses?

Hi All,

I'd be interested to hear a few more opinions from folks who have been to both haunted houses or either one. We wanted to include a stop here on our last trip, but didnt have the time. Maybe next time....

@Gatdreams - I cannot really fault the 'guys' who work there for hanging out smoking outside - putting myself in their shoes - they likely make minimum wage, do the same repititious thing over and over all day, sweat in 100 degree plus heat and i doubt Management provides them a good area to chill out in (with tv etc) inside when they are not working - so i would likely hang out with the boys shootin the breeze outside as well, until customers showed up. Now, they couldve been more subtle about recognizing customers were there, and that could def be improved upon.

I find haunted houses to either be really good, or absolutely terrible. A lot of it has to do with how much space they have to build the suspense, whether touching customers is allowed or not etc - let me tell you - having 'something' brush by your feet in a dark corridor is enough to send even the most 'manliest' man, screaming down the hall like a little girl :)

But many people, women especially, prefer no contact, so haunted house management is limited by customer preferences in how much they can actually do to keep everyone happy.

Edited: 08 July 2012, 17:31
5. Re: Haunted houses?

Hampton Cove, AL
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haunted houses?

Last year we went to the Ripley's Haunted House in Gatlinburg. It turned out to be a great experience that we STILL talk about (because of my 10 year old daughter's reaction). We really made the most of it, though. First, we read out loud all the old newspaper articles posted on the walls about the house's scary past. I made sure my kids (10 and 12) heard every word. We played along.

If they still have the same host as last year, you'll appreciate his appearance and demeanor. Really unbelievable. He was made for the job.

Our family of four joined another small group that was waiting in line - maybe 9 or 10 people total . Someone has to be the leader, and because some of the time is spent in total darkness (and I mean TOTAL), you are asked to put your hands on the waist (or shoulders) of the person in front of you. If you're squeamish about this, don't go, or volunteer to be the leader. We found that it increased the group's camaraderie and made it more fun.

We all screamed in unison quite a few times, but laughed, too, except for my daughter. During the self-guided tour, in her most authoritative voice, she demanded we find an exit immediately - two or three times! We ignored her. Later, I asked her why she was so scared, considering she was with both parents. I said, "Do you really think we would let you visit a dangerous place?" She said, "no, but you might not know!" Shows how much confidence she has in us, I guess.

We are going to Gatlinburg again this summer, and she is insisting we visit the haunted house again so she can redeem herself.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
581 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Haunted houses?

Suzygs--loved the way you handled the experience! Such a great memory.

Carol

new york
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Haunted houses?

Funny stuff Suzy :)

One of the best haunted houses i have been to was down in Orlando, Florida - The Haunted Castle - a sprawling, multilevel site near Disney / Epcot. I was with a group of friends 8-10 of us and we joined up with several other smaller groups ( a family of 3 - parents and a young child, and a couple - big linebacker looking black dude and his gf) for our tour.

The pitch black entrance hall, creaky falling elevator etc were scary enough and all in good fun but the best part of the evening was when we reached the long pitch black corridor on the second floor.

I was somewhere in the middle of this group, with the linebacker and his gf bringing up the rear. When we started out, the linebacker dude was talking all tough to his girl like - 'stay with me baby, hold my hand - this is all fake etc etc'. But no one was expecting our group to be 'attacked' from the rear. This ghoul came out of the wall with an axe and all i heard was this high pitched scream and got thrown against the wall as the linebacker dude pushed everyone out of his way as he ran for the end of the hall. Needless to say he left his gf behind - who was screaming for him to come get her.

Funniest thing ive seen in a long long time. :)

9. Re: Haunted houses?

Removed on: 14 August 2012, 01:13
new york
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Haunted houses?

@GatDreams:

Nope, this one was an independent operation right outside the park - right by the main strip with all the restaurants etc. The building is huge and looks like a medieval castle so you cant miss it :)