We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Holiday Inn Vacation Club

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Holiday Inn Vacation Club

This is not a review of this particular resort but of the getaway promised by Holiday Inn to entice you to join their Vacation Club. After my experience I don't think I will ever stay at a Holiday Inn for the rest of my life. They promise you a getaway weekend and make it sound like you will be staying at one of their resorts. You get a discounted room as long as you agree to attend one of their sales pitches. So, I paid the $199 for a trip to Gatlinburg. First of all they don't tell you there is an additional fee of $99 if you go during peak season which is basically all summer. My plan was to take my son who is in college for a weekend trip while he was on break. Well, guess what that was peak season so it cost me an extra $99. Then it turns out we are actually booked at a Holiday Inn in Pigeon Forge. Let me tell you, Pigeon Forge IS NOT Gatlingburg. This hotel was way outdated and a complete disappointment. We arrived on a Friday evening after a 3 1/2 hour drive from Nashville. Once in Pigeon Forge which is tiny it took us another 20 minutes to go the 1 1/2 miles to our crappy Holiday Inn Hotel. I specifically asked for 2 beds and our room was a king. Of course the hotel was "sold out". Turns out, this hotel is about 7 miles from Gatlinburg. The traffic was so backed up we didn't even attempt to go to Gatlinburg that evening. My 2 hour sales pitch was at 11:30 Saturday morning so most of Saturday afternoon was wasted because I was not about to invest in their vacation club after my experience on Friday. So, we actually ended up with 1 1/2 days to spend in the Smoky Mountains. I had spent a lot of time researching things to do in Gatlinburg and we were able to do maybe half. This trip wasn't worth the airfare. Shame on Holiday Inn for marketing the way they market these so called getaways. Never again, you have lost a customer.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Holiday Inn Vacation Club

I am so sorry to hear your weekend was not as you had hoped. I learned on my second to the Smokies many years ago to avoid and sort of 'sales pitch' or 'time share' deal that I came across. I had to spend about 3-4 hours of a day of our trip at the time share sales seminar and had to deal with rude people and all simply to get a couple of free tickets to Country Tonight and $50 cash as well. Lesson learned to say the least, 1st and last time I will ever agree to sit through one of those things.

I do hope you were able to at least enjoy what was left of your trip, all the more reason to come back to the area soon. I am surprised to hear that the Holiday Inn time share was actually part of Holiday Inn hotels...I've never heard of them having Time Shares. =-(

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Holiday Inn Vacation Club

I agree with Deputy we too learned our lesson several years ago. We now avoid these people like the plague. I do not have experience with Holiday Inn but I imagine there all alike. Really if there trying to sell you something why would they put you up in a crappy hotel? Why not at let you stay in the resort their trying to sell you. We now have to avoid the sales people in the Bass Pro shop here, last week I walked way out of my way so I would not be chased down.

Never the less please don't let this keep you from Gburg. There are some hotels you could of stayed at that would of cost you the same $$ overall.

3. Re: Beware of Holiday Inn Vacation Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2013, 10:16