We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions wanted!

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton...
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions wanted!

Hi Folks,

It's getting close to our vacation in Gatlinburg/PF!

Here's a few things we want to do, and we'd appreciate your help in filling in the blanks. We're wondering if you've done these things, if you enjoyed them, and if you have any recommendations for where to go to do them. BTW, we've got two kids, ages 8 and 9. We'll be there for a week, so lots of time to fill!

- Llama trek / hike

- Helicopter Ride

- Zorb (you go down a huge hill inside a big ball)

- Mini-golf

-Go karts

- Dollywood

-Shows (Comedy Barn, Dixie Stmapede, etc)

Any other fun suggestions to do in either PF or Gat? We've got no problems driving around to the fun!

Thanks!

DaddyO

Chelsea, Alabama
Level Contributor
586 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Suggestions wanted!

Hey DaddyO,

Definately the Ripleys Aquarium, The Comedy Barn and I'll throw in Fort Fun on the strip on Gatlinburg. If your kids are like mine, at night they can get "testy". You pay 1 price for unlimited putt-putt for the length of your stay in Gatlinburg (2 - 18 hole courses).

You've got to eat at "Best Italian Pizza" in Elks Plaza across from the Ober Gatlinburg tram.

Used to you could get a good picnic lunch at Parton's Deli on the strip close to HillBilly Golf. Spending the day at Cades Cove and having a picnic is a great suggestion. We're looking into white water rafting for this summer. Also there are lots of horseback riding opportunities. OUtside of Pigeon Forge on Wears Valley Road I've heard about a place that may be great for your kids, Waldens Stables. I think they do a bonfire at night (hot dogs, etc).

Enjoy the mountains, plenty of trails to explore.

Southampton...
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Suggestions wanted!

Hiya vha!

Thanks for the suggestions! We were considering horseback riding, so thanks for the place suggestion.

DaddyO

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Suggestions wanted!

My sons rode at Walden's Stables a few years ago, I freaked when I heard the head rider carried a pistol in case of bears, now after what happened in April with the bear, I guess I understand much better.

Chicago, IL
3 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Suggestions wanted!

I'm an ex-resident of Gatlinburg and just love it there. We vacation in GB every year now since we've left and still can't beat it as a vacation place. So much to do and never enough time!!

You will just love Dollywood. My son, now 11, still enjoys this park over others he's been to (Orlando, Chicago, LA). The atmosphere is just wonderful - and everyone is so friendly.

We've gone white-water rafting and horseback riding, both were great! Your kids will certainly enjoy all of the Ripley's in GB, especially the Moving Theater (he's already put that on his to-do list for this year's trip) and don't forget to take them to Fannie Farkles - yes, it's an arcade, but it's on the small-side, and if you don't feel like playing the games you can sit outside while they play and enjoy people-watching and the view.

Take the trip up to Ober-G (www.obergatlinburg.com), much to do - especially for the kids - and you'll all enjoy the tram-ride.

Hillbilly golf is fun - much better than the indoor Ripley's golf.

We always take drives through the Park - it's relaxing and you always see something new. My kid gets a kick out of being "so high up". This year we're going to take a guided walk - the "waterfall" trek sounds easy and relaxing. Also going to do the indoor skydiving in PF - looks like fun.

Check out gatlinburg.com if you haven't already - all the info you need on activities and more is on the website.

Southampton...
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Suggestions wanted!

Hey MtnViewer,

Hmm, I heard that ober gatlinburg was highly overrated, and has gone downhill over the years.

Have you ever gone tubing on any of the rivers (Little Pigeon Forge river)? I'm looking for a place to lash some tubes together and float down the river slowly for a few hours. any suggestions?

Thanks!

DaddyO

Chicago, IL
3 posts
Save Reply
46. Re: Suggestions wanted!

Hey DaddyO -

I've not been to Ober for a few years, so can't comment on current conditions - but did enjoy it when I went.

Been rafting, not tubing - but after reading your post have added it to my to-do list for our June trip. "Rafting in the Smokies" is the outfit we went with - they were great so will use them for tubing this year. Really nice guides and experienced. I've seen many outifits in the surrounding towns and neighboring NC that offer tube-trips and wonder if they all utilize the same part of the river. I'll be waiting to hear your comments on what outfit you end up with! :-)

I'm not sure if you can just bring your own tube & go on your own. I know the outfits charge a river-usage fee, so if you're thinking of bringing your own, call the Gatlinburg Chamber and ask about it - they should know if there's any prohibitions. There's a creek up in Cherokee that many people go to in warmer weather - but it always looked too crowded and I'm not one for hanging in a creek with hundreds of people, so never ventured in myself.

I'm curious about Zorbing, since you've mentioned it in your post. Sounds like fun - I wish they'd post when it's opening!

We're planning on taking a guided walk also this year - an easy walk to check out some of the Park's waterfalls. My son and niece are pretty excited about it. We always take a drive up to the "top of the Smokies". You can pack a picnic and stop at an overlook/picnic area and take in the view. Take the kids up to the TN/NC border and walk a bit of the Appalachian Trail. Not sure if your kids are interested in nature, etc. but if they are then these ideas might be fun for them also.

MtnViewer