We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 11/23-11/24

louisville, ky
Level Contributor
145 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 11/23-11/24

First Trip to Gatlinburg with daughter. Stayed at Fairfield Inn. Good location with trolley stop on property. Hotel was clean and comfortable. Friday we walked to the downtown (about 1 mile from hotel). Car and foot traffic was CRAZY busy. Very hard to even get into a store. We just walked around and took in the sights since it was our first time. At lunch at No Way Jose (pretty good) and dinner at Hard Rock (not my first choice but everything else was a long wait due to the large (10-14 people) parties that evening) it was mediocre as they all are.

Saturday walked to Aquarium at opening. This is a great place! We were very impressed. Well worth the time and the money. Many people must have left town on Saturday because the crowds were not bad at all, we were able to zip in and out of many of the stores. Lunch at Blaines (decent food) and then hopped the red trolley to take a ride around town to rest our feet and warm up. Dinner back at the room; ordered pizza from Big Bear (?)..not impressed. rip off for what we got. would have been better ordering from a chain, but we try to eat local and not a chain when we travel.

Notes:

Lots of "cheap" tshirt and purse stores which all advertise going out of business or discount sales, yet they all have the same thing...Reminds me of the state fair......

Loved the quaint "village malls"

lots of interesting people, sights and sounds; glad there were not any people hounding us over timeshares that i read about.

Loved the Moonshine Hollow, music, tastings and fun atmosphere

The trolley system is a great idea, but they need several of each color so they run on a continual basis so people don't have to wait so long (you never know when they arrive or depart)

The Christmas lights were very pretty at night.

We will definately be back as we did not to do or see all we wanted to.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,716 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 11/23-11/24

Thanks for the report. We love the aquarium, too. It's always well worth the price of admission.

We were there on Saturday, but we were almost completely overwhelmed by the crowds that evening. After we had dinner, it took us an hour to get from Bennett's BBQ to the Aquarium on River Rd.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 11/23-11/24

Brad did you eat at Bennett's Sat.? we had dinner there about 7pm

I thought the traffic and congestion was by far more this year than the few years past, I am glad business is up though. We too enjoy walking the town and especially the villages. It was fun to hear the carolers and see the lights but I didn't realize how cold it was until we returned to our room and I couldn't feel my legs :)

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,716 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 11/23-11/24

No, we parked in the parking lot just across the small bridge past Bennett's and walked up to Best Italian. Isn't that crazy? I walked right past you and didn't even know it!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 11/23-11/24

We were also there this weekend and thought the crowds were higher than past years. We hiked to Charlie's Bunion on Saturday and there were a lot of people on the trail too, even though the temps were in the teens near the top .We walked around downtown on Thursday (Thanksgiving) night, and most of the Parkway shops were open, but quite a few in the Village were closed.The north and south ends of the Parkway were VERY crowded, but in the middle section there was room to breathe.

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 11/23-11/24

We were there all last week, agree that Fri/Sat were the most crowded we have seen. Had lunch Sat at the TX Roadhouse and to watch 1H of the OSU/Michigan game, and to avoid the evening crowds in town picked up seafood at Food City to cook in the condo. Also went out to the Arts and Crafts community which was not crowded at all. Thank goodness for the Gatlinburg bypass, made it easy getting in and out of town without being stuck in traffic!

6. Re: Trip Report 11/23-11/24

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 06:16