We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gatlinburg mountains

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
avondale, louisiana
9 posts
Save Topic
gatlinburg mountains

This is the first time we will be driving in the mountains. My husband's driving already makes me nervous.. Any advice would be appreciated thanks

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,084 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gatlinburg mountains

Slow and careful is the way to go. The moutain roads around Gatlinburg, especially ones like Ski Mtn Rd, are narrow and have very sharp curves.

Always use low gears when coming down too.

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
673 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gatlinburg mountains

Also be sure not to ride your brakes. While going downhill pump your brakes if low gear doesn't slow you enough. If you ride your brakes they will overheat11

If you see a line of traffic behind you pull over at one of the scenic overlooks and let them pass.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gatlinburg mountains

lawoman: I know where Avondale is, I live in Metairie. Visiting the Smoky Mtns is relatively easy to drive. Probably there will be a lot of traffic, depending on what time of the year you go. If your vehicle has automatic, you should always shift into a lower drive instead of riding the brakes, when going downhill. None of the normal roads into and over the Smoky Mtns are so steep so as to make it dangerous to drive on.

However, if you decide to take off the trail roads, you might want to be extra careful, as you could encounter sharp turns that would be difficult to maneuver, especially if the road is wet from rain.

Otherwise, I would relax and enjoy your visit.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gatlinburg mountains

Ditto again about pulling over to let people pass. It's just good manners!

I understand that some people don't feel comfortable with the curves and feel the need to drive really slowly, but it is so frustrating to be behind that car and unable to get past.

pekin IL
Level Contributor
499 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gatlinburg mountains

Pulling over to allow passing is something I'd never thought about, makes sense. I know when I drive between PF and Cades Cove, the curves are a little hairy for a "flat-lander", especially in my 1994 Ford pickup, not exactly a performance machine. I imagine I've had a line of people behind me saying bad things about my heritage! Good advice, and THANKS for the observation, I'll put it to use in June!

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
673 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gatlinburg mountains

Of course the MOST important thing is to enjoy the views. If you are too nervous while driving be sure to stop alot and take it all in!!

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gatlinburg mountains

Well, this polite way to drive might cost you a lot ot time. Remember, there is always someone who wants to pass you no matter how fast you are going.

I will usually maintain the normal speed allowed, if someone wants to speed down the mountain I will allow for one of these guys, but I have to get there also and safely.

Also, driving conditions will dictate a safe driving condition. If there was a recent rain, the road would be slippery.

There is the safery factor to consider while driving the mountains especially coming down.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gatlinburg mountains

I agree, Drive at elast the speed limit. I live near and around mtns and find myself going up mountains alot, mostly lookout. I HATE IT when out of towners go 5 miles an hour up or down teh mountain and stop in the middle of the road to see things! Heres a tip, if you have more than 5 cars behind you riding each others tails you probably need to speed up a bit.