We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hikes with a 2 year old

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kentucky
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hikes with a 2 year old

Hello! I have seen a few topics on the "hiking with a baby" thing but wanted to see if I could drum up any more helpful responses.

We are visiting the Smokies this week (hooray!) with two adult couples, a 6 year old, and a 2 year old. We do have a backpack carrier for the 2 year old and are looking for a fairly easy hike in the park.

We have done Laurel Falls and the Gatlinburg Trail in the past. We really like the Gatlinburg Trail but would love to try something different. Too bad Clingman's Dome is closed! We really want something close to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge..not the Cherokee side.

Thanks for any help!

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
411 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hikes with a 2 year old

I would try Alum Cave Trail to Arch Rock. I believe it is a little over a mile from the trail head. Trail is relatively flat with a little elevation gain to that point. Arch rock is a cave like structure with very steep steps to continue up to the bluff or further to the Leconte Lodge. I also believe there are also a couple of log bridges to cross as well.

If you are adventurous or if the six year old have unlimted energy, continue to the bluff, probably another 1.5 miles from arch rock, but the elevation gain is greater than before arch rock, but the views are spectacular.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hikes with a 2 year old

The Little River Trail in Elkmont.

www.hikinginthesmokys.com/littleriver.htm

This is a page where you can find hikes rated by difficulty, location, or features.

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
962 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hikes with a 2 year old

Check with the rangers at Sugarlands visitor center. Lots of rain recently and Little River is up about 7' above normal at the Y. Some trails are going to be pretty muddy. And nice exhibit at Sugarlands of many animals and birds in the park the kids might enjoy. Rain forecasted to stop tomorrow?

Brunson
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hikes with a 2 year old

We did that little walk out back of the Sugarlands Vistors Center in November with a 2 yr old. He was able to walk it himself and enjoyed being free in the woods. We also tried one in Roaring Fork, but that will be closed. Cades Cove has some open "treks" throughout that our 2 year old enjoyed as well... we never did make it to the end of any of them, but he was able to get fresh air and burn energy. I have one of those backpack carriers, it was fine until he started walking now he cannot stand to be in a stroller or carried. Freedom!

5. Re: Hikes with a 2 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 05:19