We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour of Tennessee

Cape Coral, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Tour of Tennessee

Greetings! My husband and I are looking to take a 'tour of TN'. We will be traveling Sept 2013. Our first stop is Chattanooga for 3 nights. Then to Nashville for 3 nights (staying with Family). After a brief stop we will end out trip in Gatlinburg for 2 nights.

First off, can someone recommend nice (cheap) hotels?

We are semi-adventurous. We like to hike, swim, visit historical sites, haunted sites, kooky places.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Christina

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
963 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour of Tennessee

A day that includes the short film at the Sugarland Visitor Center (free)followed by the 11 mile auto tour of Cades Cove, visit to little Greenbriar school house and nearby Walker Sisters cabin and then the Elkmont resort located behind Elkmont campground would provide a nice variety of historical sites in the South and Southwest part of the Park. Add another 45 mins and check out the Little River Railroad museum (free) in Townsend on your way to or from Cades Cove. Another option would be to include the drive up to Newfound Gap where you can straddle the line between TN and NC and see where Roosevelt dedicated the Park in 1940. A short 7 mile drive away is the highest point in TN and in the Park at Clingman's dome with a lookout tower and a 360 view of the area.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour of Tennessee

nice and cheap are sometimes difficult to find in Gburg. I would recommend quality inn creekside. It does need some updating but is very clean and the location is perfect. We have stayed here multiple times and it right at the parks entrance and within walking distance to everything. Since your only here for 2 days I would recommend you staying on the pkwy.

I second the recommendation to cades cove and clingmans dome. You can also access cades cove from the gburg park enterance. Keep in mind this loop can take hours depending on how much you stop so you might want to take a picnic lunch.

Cape Coral, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour of Tennessee

Thank you very much for the great suggestions. I will definately look into it.

Level Contributor
371 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour of Tennessee

My suggestion would be to decrease time in Chattanooga to one or two days and give yourself more time in the gatlinburg/pigeon forge area. There is so much to do there with the national park, shopping, shows, theme parks,etc that I would recommend maximizing your time there.

5. Re: Tour of Tennessee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2014, 06:18