We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places for picnic?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nurselissa
Level Contributor
62 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best places for picnic?

We plan on doing 3-4 picnic lunches while we are there. Where are your favorites spots to have a picnic lunch? We have kids and would love a place where they run around or play in a stream.

King George...
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places for picnic?

Metcalf bottoms picnic area is a nice place for a pincic and has a nice stream you can play. It is pretty crowded in the summer time, but is still nice. It's on the road between Cades Cove & Gatlinburg.

Also, an off the wall area is Roaring fork. My family and I found a neat spot behind the Ephaim Bales place with a stream and small cascade. Not a lot of room for running around, but a great picnic spot.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places for picnic?

Yes, for sure Metcalf Bottoms! You can also hike/drive to the old schoolhouse and cemetery while you are in the area.

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
962 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places for picnic?

Herbert Holt Park in Gatlinburg has a small playground and is located on the Pigeon River right off the Parkway - north end of town. In the Park, Townsend Y - popular place and a great swimming hole; Cades Cove day use and picninc area - right next to small stream.

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
937 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places for picnic?

My two favorite picnic areas are the Chimneys and Metcalf Bottoms. I think the Chimneys picnic area is one of my favorites because it holds childhood memories. We used to go up there a lot on family vacations when I was a kid. And Metcalf Bottoms is just a pretty place. I love how open it is and how the water is so close.

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
280 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places for picnic?

I second the Cades Cove picnic area. We also liked the picnic are just north of Smokemont on the North Carolina side.

Carencro, Louisiana
Level Contributor
311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places for picnic?

We will be traveling in a Jeep, with top down and doors off, if we pack an ice chest in the Jeep for picnics, do we have to worry about bears getting into the Jeep?

Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
827 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places for picnic?

There is a creek that runs across the road on Sparks Lane in Cades Cove. We like to picnic there and the kids love to get in the water there.

conn
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places for picnic?

yes bears may get into a cooler just left in the truck bed

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
401 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best places for picnic?

There is a nice picnic area at Greenbriar out off of 321.

Carencro, Louisiana
Level Contributor
311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best places for picnic?

Thanks, that's what I figured, guess we won't be picnicking :-(