We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we swim at a waterfall?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can we swim at a waterfall?

I know that may sound crazy, but we are coming in June and plan on going to a few waterfalls, but are visitors allowed to get in the water? We live in Indy and if you tried that here, in a state park, Barney Fife, ha, ha would let you have it! Thanks

If it's ok, which waterfall would you suggest? Susan

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we swim at a waterfall?

I am not sure but I dont think so. I think you can swim in most steams but you would be crazy to swim in the water near most of the waterfalls there. The undertow would either beat you black and blue or drown you if it didnt just carry you way down stream.

NW Ga
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we swim at a waterfall?

We went about 2 weeks ago.....just after a good rain. We were traveling between Townsend and Gatlinburg and there were multiple waterfalls along the road. One on the left side of the road<heading to Gatlinburg> was so amazing....my wife and I both came up with the idea of taking some photo's of her under the waterfall. Couple of little problems....no parking close by and the likelyhood of being run over by other traffic on the road trying to pull off this photo session. That and we had no towels/extra clothes to dry off with afterwards. It was a nice idea though.

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
677 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we swim at a waterfall?

If you drive on Little River Road between Gatlinburg and Cades cove there are several areas that you can swim. One place that might interest you is called "The Sinks", not exactly a waterfall but cascading water over huge boulders. There is a small parking lot, but it fils quickly in hot weather!!

There is NO LIFEGUARD so swimming is at your own risk.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,749 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we swim at a waterfall?

Yes, you may swim at your own risk in any of the rivers, streams, or waterfalls in the Smokies park. However, you are taking a risk by doing so.

A young middle-school-aged boy drowned last year in the water around Abrams' Falls while on a school field trip.

Many of the waterfalls in the park arn't really "large" enough for such activity. One exception is the above-mentioned area on Little River Road called the Sinks. I went swimming here as a teenager many years ago, and it is a popular place for such. I do not recommend diving anywhere in the park rivers, however, as you don't always know how deep the water is.

Another good area for swimming activity is right at the Townsend Y junction. Many of the tubing folks start from this point and head down the river to Townsend.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we swim at a waterfall?

That is so awful about the boy drowning, I'm so sorry. Thanks for the insight on how dangerous they can be, I guess living in Indiana all my life shows I don't know a lot about waterfalls! Thanks everyone

Gatlinburg, TN
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we swim at a waterfall?

You can take a hike called the sinks

Drive to the sinks Parking area (sign post 5) 12 miles west of sugarlands visitors centeron little river road

a lot of people swim there in the pools from the waterfalls

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,749 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we swim at a waterfall?

There is no hiking involved when going to the Sinks. It is right next to the road.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can we swim at a waterfall?

Like I said, I wouldnt fo it am I am a full throttle thrillseeker!

Kats said the best place to go in my opinion, in townsend. go tubing or somthing less risky!

Cincinnati Ohio
Level Contributor
430 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can we swim at a waterfall?

We went tubing one year in August and the water was icy cold. I can only imagine what it would be in June. The rocks are also quite slippery and even sitting in a tube your rear is at the mercy of the rocks. Make sure you are wearing good water shoes with ample tread.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
268 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can we swim at a waterfall?

I agree with Tessallyne. It's been a long time since I got in any water in the mountains. Those rocks are darn slick!!! I'd worry more about sliding down on a rock than anything, no matter what type of activity you are into in the creeks/streams/waterfalls.

It was fun when I was younger to find one of those knee deep waterholes and splash around, but keep off the slick boulders or learn the hard way. :)

Oh, and I think my folks have pics of me as a small child playing in "The Sinks".