We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternate accomodation suggestions?

KY
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Alternate accomodation suggestions?

We will be spending a couple of nights in Gatlinburg for our anniversary.

My husband wants a cabin overlooking the mountains with hot tub.

While that sounds great, I'm looking to relax, not cook and clean in a cabin.

Any alternate suggestions?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternate accomodation suggestions?

Nothing beats a cabin for privacy, comfort, and amenities. Just use the kitchen for the refrigerator for storing beverages and snack items or the ingredients for a simple breakfast if you like to sleep late and don't want to rush out for breakfast.

I agree with you that cooking does not make for a relaxing trip. I think a vacation should offer you experiences that are as far removed from your ordinary routine as possible so that your time away really feels like a break.

Happy anniversary!

Brewton, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternate accomodation suggestions?

Hey baby:

We are renting Wind Singer through American Mountain Rentals. It overlooks G'burg.It has a hot tub,foosball and pool table.

I agree, I'm not planning on cooking,wither. We may grill one night since my hubbie does that.The previous poster is totally right. Use the kitchen to prepare easy snacks and enjoy the privacy of a cabin. Or do like we are....a few nights ina downtown motel, the rest of the time in a cabin. It's the best of both worlds!

Have a wonderful anniversary!

KJ

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
679 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternate accomodation suggestions?

Of course I am going to expand on the Mountain Mans idea! A bed and Breakfast would be a good choice for you. There are 26 B&Bs in the Smoky Mountain area, some are in town, some are in the mountains, all of them specialize in serving great breakfasts and work really hard to ensure that your stay will be memorable and relaxing. Visit www.smokymountainbb.com

By the rules of this forum I am required to tell you that I do own and operate a B&B in Gatlinburg.

KY
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternate accomodation suggestions?

Thanks everyone for grea t suggestions. B&B may be just what I am looking for.

Any suggestions on one with an outdoor hot tub or indoor jacuzzi/

I'm not sure if B&B's offer this...I don't get out much.

I'm from KY and lived in the boonies all my life...so I'm looking for some luxury.

My husband is from CA so he can't get enough of the country!

NW Ga
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternate accomodation suggestions?

If you decide on a a cabin...just remember....there's no need to use the kitchen to cook. If we can avoid it at home we can certainly avoid it on vacation. Heh. Enjoy the privacy and hot tub....and eat your meals out.

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
679 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternate accomodation suggestions?

I believe almost all of the B&B's have outdoor hot tubs. Some have all the amenities that you would find in a cabin including game rooms, fireplaces, balconies, jacuzzi tubs.

Most of us have cable TV in the rooms, private baths, and because the owners are often the house-keepers you can be assured of a spotless room!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternate accomodation suggestions?

My husband and I prefer to stay in B&Bs when we travel; we've stayed in over 50 all over the country. They offer the opportunity to interact with other travelers (if you want) and to get wonderful information about the area from the innkeeper. They are generally very interesting architecturally and allow for a truly area-specific experience with great food featuring locally grown ingredients, pampering from the staff, and attention to little details. However, it is very unusual for a B&B to have hot tubs for each room or cottage. We have found one in Scottsdale, one in Prescott, Arizona, and one in Seattle. I'm sure there are others, and there may even be some in the Gatlinburg area. But, before assuming that the B&B's hot tub is for your exclusive use and not to be shared, I'd call first. In my opinion your own hot tub is reason enough to stay in a cabin.

If you've never stayed in a cabin in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area, you're in for a treat. The newer one bedroom cabins that are nicely furnished probably cost well over $300,000. The sheer number of cabins in the area drives the rentals down to truly amazingly low prices compared to B&Bs we've stayed in. And remember, generally in a B&B you are getting only a private bedroom and bathroom. The gameroom and other common rooms are just that - to be used with the other guests.

I'm sure the B&Bs in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area are nice, but if you are looking for privacy and spaciousness, a cabin is the better option.

Mobile, AL
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternate accomodation suggestions?

Cabins are the way to go if you want privacy. We stayed in one a few weeks ago and didn't have to do any cleaning. We did choose to cook a few meals so we had dishes to wash but that was it. If you eat out, then that would never be an issue.

I didn't get to use our hot tub because I'm pregnant but if I had been able to, I would've been very comfortable with the privacy where we were. I'm not one to parade in a bathing suit so I think about things like that.

We stayed at Sherwood Forrest and it felt like luxury to us! It's in Pigeon Forge but it's near the end of the strip closest to Gatlinburg so you wouldn't have a long drive.

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
679 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternate accomodation suggestions?

This has been a very good discussion about the pros and cons of cabins and B&B!

If you want privacy and seclusion you might be happiest in a cabin..

If you want some privacy and the ability to mingle and share your experiences with the other guests you might find a B&B is just for you!

You might be suprised by the fact the most of the B&Bs in the area are priced pretty similar to the cabins and hotels. Tangerinelulu was correct that the competition of all of the lodging tends to keep the prices more reasonable in this area.

If you are looking for links for lodging here are two good ones:

www.gatlinburg.com -Gatlinburg Chamber of Commerce

www.smokymountainbb.com -Smoky Mountain B&B Association

Brewton, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternate accomodation suggestions?

I like them both. We have stayed in B&B's in Natchez,Ms , LA and Apalachicola FL. They are great because you get to interact with people you wouldn't ordinarily meet. The Burn in Natchez, MS was by far my favorite. They had 4 cats that strolled through the house.We were lucky,when we were there we had the whole 3rd floor to ourselves.