We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the trolley service??

Brewton, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How is the trolley service??

Does anyone have advice on the trolly system in G'burg? I think it would be wonderful to leave the driving to someone else. We walked a lot last yr. Would like to take advantage of some of the trolley routes What do you think?

4 more days... I think I'll burst wide open!!

Hi AWTY! Haven't seen you on the forum lately! How's it going?

Ginger.... I'll be scoping things out for you!

Peanut......... how's it going??

Kat.... thanks for all of the wonderful advice!

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the trolley service??

Hi nurse! Not too good here lately. My dad is in the hospital.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the trolley service??

Somtimes I ride the trolly in gatlinburg just for fun, if you talk to the driver he will tell you things about the area you wouldnt otherwise know, He showed us a tree that is only one of three known species in teh world, he told us a druglord going to prison story and showed us his house and everything. We got off the trolly the same place we got on, just for fun!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,089 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the trolley service??

I personally like to walk around inside the town of Gatlinburg as I see more that way, rather than riding the trolley in town.

However, for travelling to P.F. from G.B. and such, I'd prefer the trolley to driving myself. There's even a trolley route that will take you into the national park all the way to Laurel Falls, I believe.

In June, there is also a trolley that will take you to Elkmont to see the synchronized lighting bugs on giving nights, but I understand it was very, very busy and crowded for that last year.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the trolley service??

Tell us more about the "synchronized lightning bugs." Are they different than the regular bugs you see around that flash more or less randomly? Also, what is "giving night"? Some kind of charity event?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,089 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the trolley service??

I meant to say "on certain given nights" as meaning, there are designated nights that the trolley runs to the Elkmont campground for visitors to see the "show" of lightning bugs.

Here is a link to an article about the unusual event:

http://smokymtns.com/firefly.htm

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the trolley service??

katclubfan, thanks for the link, that seems very interesting. is this also located where the deserted resort is?

pauliewalnuts, wow i cant believe your time is here! thanks for thinking of me I appreciate it and would like any information you can give me. I hope you have a great time.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,089 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is the trolley service??

From my understanding, the "bugs light up" in the woods near the nature trail behind the campground, so it will be a little further up the Elkmont road from where the old Wonderland Hotel is located.

I hate the crowds, so I've never gone up to see the bugs myself.

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
679 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is the trolley service??

The trolleys are a great alternative, especially when traffic is backed up. You can park at the visiter center on 321 and catch the trolley into town.

Here is a link with all of the information on the trolleys:

attractions-gatlinburg.com/trolley_info.html

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is the trolley service??

Wlaking around and exploring is one thing but we rode the trolly like I said, To go down the back streets that you would probably miss walking! Its rally cool to learn the secrets of the town!

Gatlinburg, TN
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How is the trolley service??

The trolley service is wonderfull I walk the strip but to get anywhere else it is the only way to go, it also saves on gas which is at 2:72 this morning