We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit outside of Gatlinburg

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
emyjoemaxx
Level Contributor
31 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Places to visit outside of Gatlinburg

I was wondering if there are any places to stay and visit out side of Gatlinburg.

We are coming to Gatlinburg in a couple of weeks and I would like to know if

there is a town that is worth visiting for a night.

I saw Townsend and the caverns but is there anything else to do there? Or maybe

another town close with things to do.

Thanks!

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit outside of Gatlinburg

Townsend is close to Cades Cove, a scenic drive (loop) in the National Park.

Pigeon Forge is another town very close to Gatlinburg. It's very touristy, with Dollywood (theme park), a waterpark, Titanic museum, mini golf. shopping.

On the North Carolina side of the park there's Cherokee, Bryson City, (and a bit further) Maggie Valley.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit outside of Gatlinburg

Asheville! About an hour and 45 minutes from Gatlinburg. Plenty to see and do but you can spend an entire day at Biltmore Estate alone.

http://www.biltmore.com/

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
1,102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit outside of Gatlinburg

In Townsend there is River Rat (or one of their competitors) for river tubing, River Rage's Rapid River go-kart track, the Little River Railroad & Lumber Museum (FREE), Dark Island Swinging Bridge, Kinzel Springs Swinging Bridge,Great Smoky Mountain Heritage Center, Next to Heaven horseback riding & ziplines. There is Cades Cove, Walker Sisters Cabin, Little Greenbrier Schoolhouse, Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area (nice wading area), the "Y" swimming. There are several antique shops on Wears Valley Rd between Townsend & Pigeon Forge. Plus there is a great bakery too...Cakes by Bakin' Bishop. Plus you would not be far from the Foothills Parkway if you wanted to take a ride out that way towards the Tail of the Dragon.

Hope this helps.

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
962 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to visit outside of Gatlinburg

Good list. Add horseback riding, hiking/biking the 9 mile walking trail through town, golf at Laurel Valley and several local artist galleries.

emyjoemaxx
Level Contributor
31 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to visit outside of Gatlinburg

Thanks every one, great ideas!

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
1,102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to visit outside of Gatlinburg

Also, consider visiting Dandridge, TN. There you can visit Forbidden Caverns, English Mountain Trout Farm & Grill, Blowing Cave Mill, Bush Beans Factory/General Store, Bush Beans Restaurant, Tinsley-Bible Drug (100 yr old pharmacy W/ soda counter), Douglas Lake, etc. I have enjoyed my visits out that way. Plus the countryside is nice. You can stop at the Harrisburg Covered bridge on your way out or back too. That was kind of neat. I really liked Bush Beans free tour. We also enjoyed our meals there. Plus we couldnt help but get a shake from Tinsley Bible. It is not often you come across a 100 year old pharmacy that still has a soda counter!!! You can also go horseback riding, take a hot air balloon ride, rent jetski/boats on Douglas Lake & etc.

Just a few more ideas.

emyjoemaxx
Level Contributor
31 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to visit outside of Gatlinburg

Oh, that does sound neat. I will definitely consider that! Thank you so much

8. Re: Places to visit outside of Gatlinburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2014, 06:17