We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Many years ago, would like to try it again

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
355 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Many years ago, would like to try it again

I have not been to Gatlinburg in quite a few years.. If I am remembering correctly, it's a fairly large downtown but walkable as opposed to Pigeon Forge , which I remember being on a very wide highway with many tourist traps and outlets places. We like to spend the night at hotels right in a downtown area so we can walk around and people watch, stop in and have a glass of wine somewhere after dinner. I know there is no comparison, really... but we really like Highlands, NC.. It just gets a little quiet at night sometimes and we thought about trying somewhere different.. We aren't partiers but we don't like to just sit, either. Please correct me if I am wrong about any of this.. Also, open to suggestions.

Gatlinburg, TN
Level Contributor
307 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Many years ago, would like to try it again

You remember correctly.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Many years ago, would like to try it again

Highlands is a wonderful area, especially if you enjoy quiet beauty (and I really do).

As CoffeeBean said, you are correct. Gatlinburg is a very walkable city, while Pigeon Forge is much too large and congested to walk. They both have their share of tourist traps, and I love both towns, but it sounds like Gatlinburg is the one for you.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
355 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Many years ago, would like to try it again

Thanks, should be fun!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
2 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Many years ago, would like to try it again

Highlands is no longer quiet at night thanks to liquor by the drink laws passing. Options include a local pub The ugly Dog, with live bands three nights a week. A local bar The Lost Hiker, Old Edwards Inn s Hummingbird Lounge and a future beer garden. The old guard is dying off and a younger crowd is taking over for better or worse depending who you talk to.

5. Re: Many years ago, would like to try it again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 05:17