We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - April 21 - 25 (Days 1 and 2)

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Carolina
Level Contributor
137 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - April 21 - 25 (Days 1 and 2)

DH (hubby) and DS (23-yr old son) and I decided to visit the Smokies before the heat and crowds rolled in. Great idea! We've been to G'Burg quite a few times, so were familiar with the lodging, restaurants, etc. We opted to stay at the Edgewater, due its central location in town. We arrived last Sunday the 21st, around 4:00 p.m. (a 5-hour drive from where we live in SC).

The Edgewater might have a good location, but it does have issues. I found some red sticky substance (like hard candy) on one of the bedspreads, and a long hair on one of the bath towels. Ewww. Plus overall, the whole place could be cleaned better. The fridge in our room made so much noise that we ended up unplugging it. And every morning around 4 a.m., the garbage trucks made so much racket on the street below it woke us up. Our last night there (Thursday), the pub down the street apparently had let out a bunch of drunks, who were whooping and hollering in front of our hotel, at 1:30 a.m. Charming. And the continental breakfast didn't consist of much, not even bananas. Can't complain about the price we paid for the room (2-room suite) as they cut us a deal due to the off-season, but we most likely won't be staying there again.

Anyhow ... after checking in we strolled up the parkway to the Rock Shop so our son could browse and decide what to add to his "collection". Then we walked over to Bennett's BBQ, a first-night tradition for us. Unfortunately I think their food quality has gone downhill over the years, as it was just "okay" for me. They still get a lot of people in there though. Afterward I headed back to the room to unpack, etc., while DH and DS went to Star Cars (they said once was enough). What was nice was that the weather was just right; we wore long pants, but had no need for a jacket.

Next morning we got a late start, and went to Alewine's Pottery (love that place) so I could get a couple items. Then we browsed another couple of shops on the way to the Wild Plum Tearoom, until they opened at 11. We were the first ones there, and were seated on the screened-in porch. Even though their food is scrumptious, DS was never thrilled to eat there due to the limited menu selections ... until they started serving the salmon burgers. He had it last trip and fell in love. This time though it came with a breadcrumb coating on the salmon. While he preferred it to be plainly grilled like before, he still enjoyed it. I had a cheesy-tomato melt with citrus salad, which was delish. And their desserts, as always, are to die for. Chewy hot fudge brownie for DS and me, and bread pudding for DH. Along with the Wild Plum iced tea - heaven.

Afterward we decided to drive the Roaring Fork Motor Trail, which with the budding bushes and trees was so gorgeous. We parked the car along the way to take a path or two, get some photos and enjoy nature at its finest. When we were done we went to Hillbilly Golf, which is our fave - so unique. Not cheap for mini-golf though, at $12.99 per person, but we love it. Then we drove over to Pigeon Forge so I could browse the Apple Barn gift shop (actually in Sevierville), and a couple other places.

By then it was time for an early supper, and we went over to one of our new favorite places to eat: The Old Mill Pottery Cafe. Their food is soooo good; much better than the Old Mill, in our opinions. The weather was still gorgeous, so we asked to sit on the outdoor patio, and were seated beside the goldfish pond. Beautiful! All three of us ordered some type of sandwich, which came on sourdough bread. Along with the excellent side dishes - yum!! Too bad we were too full for dessert!

After that we headed back to G'Burg, where DH and DS strolled the parkway while I returned to the room for the evening. Noticed that the tip money I had left on the nightstand for the housekeeper was still there, so made sure I left a note indicating it was for them the next morning. (To be continued.....)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 25 (Days 1 and 2)

Question...we are planning to fly from NY to Charlotte (which is kind of where you travelled from), and then drive a rental to Gatlinberg. How is the drive? Major roads? Stop areas for kids, gas? High altitudes?

Thanks

South Carolina
Level Contributor
137 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 25 (Days 1 and 2)

From SC, we took I-26 and then I-40 over to Gatlinburg. I would imagine that you could take I-40 from Charlotte, though not sure if that's the best or fastest route from there. There's always lots of traffic on I-40, after you get past Asheville. The altitudes aren't enough to affect anything, except to have your ears pop once or twice. Many gas stations and food places along the way, though fewer and farther between after passing Asheville. But it's not that much farther to go from there anyway. I'm not exactly sure of the exit number we take to go into Gatlinburg, maybe 440 or something. But we do take the one that says to Rt. 321, which is the road that goes right into the heart of G'Burg. Best of luck on your trip!

Carencro, Louisiana
Level Contributor
317 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 25 (Days 1 and 2)

Can you tell me more about the rock shop? Where exactly is it on the parkway, do you remember the name? We are going for the second time in June, we aren't familiar with the shops on the parkway yet and my daughter LOVES rocks!! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!!

Thanks in Advance,

Lesley

South Carolina
Level Contributor
137 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 25 (Days 1 and 2)

The Rock Shop is right beside Ober Gatlinburg on the parkway. It's a neat shop, full of rocks and minerals, both rough and cut. Their stones come from all over the world, and the people who run the shop are very helpful with their explanations of everything they sell.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 02:59
Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 25 (Days 1 and 2)

Thanks for the report! I love Hillbilly Golf, too. Looking forward to part 2.

Carencro, Louisiana
Level Contributor
317 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 25 (Days 1 and 2)

Thank you so much, we will definately have to visit it!!

7. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 25 (Days 1 and 2)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 06:17