We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Summer in Gatlinburg reallly too crowded?

Orlando, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Is Summer in Gatlinburg reallly too crowded?

Hi,

I am planning a family vacation for the second week of June as soon as my 8 year old gets out of school. As I am doing my internet research I am noticing lots of comments about heat and crowds. I started to wonder how bad can it really be?

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Summer in Gatlinburg reallly too crowded?

Certainly not as bad as Orlando. Weekends are busy, like any other destination city, but I've always found October to be much busier. Go for it.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
923 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Summer in Gatlinburg reallly too crowded?

Have been there twice during that time and it's crowded but not unbearable. Much better than the first 2 weeks of July. Obviously, if you are aware that G-burg is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the region and the gateway town to the most visited National Park in the US and are prepared for some crowds then you will be in the right frame of mind and the crowds won;t bother you as much.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Summer in Gatlinburg reallly too crowded?

We go every year in June. It is crowded, but not enough to keep us away!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Summer in Gatlinburg reallly too crowded?

We go every year in June. The crowds really aren't that bad in my opinion. If we go eat we go at off times- for example lunch at 3:00. You will have fun if you just decide that there are crowds but you aren't going to let it bother you!!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
758 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Summer in Gatlinburg reallly too crowded?

It will be less crowded if you go through the week. If you check in on a Sunday or Monday, you won't have much of a traffic issue going in, same thing if you leave on a Friday or Saturday. Majority check in on a Thursday or Friday and out on a Sunday or Monday.

As for the heat, I live in the middle TN. area and this state is having cooler than normal temps. right now so I doubt it will be unbearable temps. begining of June. We just got back from Gatlinburg this past Wed. and we had to run the heat at nights in the cabin. Day temps were 60-70 but night temps got cold. We usually have humid weather here in TN. but its nothing like FL.

Oh yeah, one more thing for everyone going up within a few weeks, gas is real cheap there too, it was $3.14 on Wed. the day we left.

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Orlando, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Summer in Gatlinburg reallly too crowded?

Hi Everyone, thanks so much for all your replies. We are very excited to plan our first Tennessee mountain vacation!

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee Mountain Tours
Tennessee Mountain Tours
74 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
miamisburg
Level Contributor
213 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Summer in Gatlinburg reallly too crowded?

Have to agree with Tennesseejust me. If your worried about crowds check in Sunday. Ive got to where I enjoy the crowd and atmosphere for a day or two. We go on Sat and crowds are leaving Sunday usually. Just expect it to be crowded Friday and Sat.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
137 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Summer in Gatlinburg reallly too crowded?

I guess I have a different take on crowds, as we've always arrived on Sundays. Every night during the week, the sidewalks on the Parkway are shoulder-to-shoulder with people, and the traffic is non-stop. To me, that is crowded. Places in the mountains such as Cades Cove and the picnic areas will be quite crowded as well. We usually always visited in early-to-mid June, and found the temps to be in the high 80s by then.

Edited: 12 May 2013, 23:31
Mentioned in this post
Cades Cove
Cades Cove
4,319 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
280 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Summer in Gatlinburg reallly too crowded?

My wife and I went to G-Burg the first week in August in 2010 when there was a heat wave. Temps in Knoxville were 100+ everyday but was really nice in Gatlinburg and the park. Crowds were not too bad either. Like everyone said go to places at not bussiest time. Eat at 2 or 3. Get to the park early. Go to the attractions late. Have a good time.

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Summer in Gatlinburg reallly too crowded?

Yes there will be some crowds but nothing that bad. It will be nothing like Orlando or those places. The weekends will be worst. Go and enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL