We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fudge and booze - suger or alchohol buzz - your choice...

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Smyrna, Tennessee
Level Contributor
475 posts
316 reviews
Save Topic
Fudge and booze - suger or alchohol buzz - your choice...

Looks like another distillery is under construction on the strip in Gatlinburg. Play it right, what with all the free samples - you be able to get a pretty good buzz on by time you reach the park entrance.

Smyrna, Tennessee
Level Contributor
475 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fudge and booze - suger or alchohol buzz - your choice...

meant "sugar"

Level Contributor
1,257 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fudge and booze - suger or alchohol buzz - your choice...

I like alcohol as much as the next person, but this "moonshine" fad in the area is truly bizarre.

Why would anyone pay $40 for unaged corn whiskey when there are perfectly aged bourbons for half the price?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
694 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fudge and booze - suger or alchohol buzz - your choice...

BryanBe I agree. I live in Bourbon country and can't imagine paying for that stuff!

Level Contributor
1,257 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fudge and booze - suger or alchohol buzz - your choice...

I could understand buying it from a real Moonshiner if alcohol wasn't readily available, but buying it at a strip mall just seems....dare I say....UnAmerican.

columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fudge and booze - suger or alchohol buzz - your choice...

if tourists will buy it, someone will be there to sell it!

Franklin, Kentucky
Level Contributor
222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fudge and booze - suger or alchohol buzz - your choice...

Agreed, the moonshine thing is just a fad. There's a reason that put that stuff in barrels and age it for years. I have to admit to liking some of the Davy Crockett though, but I think I've already burnt myself out on it.

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Level Contributor
34 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fudge and booze - suger or alchohol buzz - your choice...

If you think the Moonshine is expensive..have you seen the prices lately at the Candy Kitchens? OMG they are up to $18 to $20 a pound now!! It's good but not that good!! And as far as I know ...they don't give free samples I have asked!! But I did enjoy the Moonshine and maybe you can tell me...isn't Moonshine considered "aged" in 24 hours?

Level Contributor
1,257 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fudge and booze - suger or alchohol buzz - your choice...

Moonshine is usually just unaged corn mash whiskey. Whiskey gets it all of its color and flavor from aging for years in oak barrels.

Sitting 24 hours in a glass jar isn't going to do much of that.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fudge and booze - suger or alchohol buzz - your choice...

I just don't like the idea of walking around the town under the effects of moonshine, then driving mountain roads back to the cabin. I guess it's different for those staying in town to have a couple and be on their merry way.

I look forward to being finished with my day, as well as any driving before i have anything to drink. It's just too risky.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,695 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fudge and booze - suger or alchohol buzz - your choice...

I happen to agree with BryanBe and Slahta, my choice of bourbon is Makers Mark. That costs enough. Why in the world would Iwanna pay their prices for un-aged alcohol? I also agree with Dawg, the last thing I need to run into is someone who's had too much to sample, whether it's moonshine or bonded.

Ray