We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money saving TIPS in Gatlinburg

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Money saving TIPS in Gatlinburg

We are a traveling family of 4. A 14 and 8 year old. What are some money saving tips, time saving tips, and great advice that a family should know before and during the trip?

SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Money saving TIPS in Gatlinburg

There IS a McDonald's in Gburg with a "dollar menu". A nice option to the 8 buck Ogledog .

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
493 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money saving TIPS in Gatlinburg

Depending on where you are staying, have a cooler packed with drinks(soda, juice, water, etc). If the place you are staying has a fridge, pack lunch meat, yogarts, bread, etc. There is a walmart in pigeon forge and a Food City in Gburg. Preparing your own meals will save a lot.

Plus spend a lot of time in the National Park. Plenty to do and it will only cost you the gas money you need to drive you there.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money saving TIPS in Gatlinburg

Watch the Knoxville Groupon, sweetjack.com and halfoffdepot.com

I have saved a lot with these sites. You have to check them often but it's worth it. Last year my family of four went to the Country tonite show for $25. (The kids were free and the adults were 50% off). The comedy barn also offers 1 free kids ticket with each paying adult ticket. Ripley's puts deals on there for the aquarium and their other attractions. They also offer combo tickets on thier website if you want to do more than one attraction. Google Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge coupons and there will be several options, they are usually for a couple of $$ but every little bit helps!

nurselissa
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money saving TIPS in Gatlinburg

We're going in July for a week. I've budgeted $3000 (not including the hotel), I told hubby I'm making it my mission to save as much as possible! I want to keep track of what we save by using coupons too. I got our hotel for 65% off the listed price. I just got some tickets off of halfoffdepot.com for go karts/putt putt. I'm planning to eat at places where I can use a coupon if at all possible. Someone told me to check out the breakfast buffet at this one place (can't remember the name right now) it's $7.99 a person and there's a 15% off coupon, it would come out to be $6.80 a person, it's open until 11, we get up late anyway so I'm thinking if we eat a big breakfast at 10ish, then a snack/small lunch then we can have a nice dinner.

Last year I got restaurant coupons from restaurant.com. I havne't checked yet this year but the 3 or 4 we used last year were great meals. And I got them when the $25 ones were only $4 and I had a code for 1/2 off.

Since hubby and I booked our vacation (5 of us) his sister and her family (8 of them) and brother and his family (5 of them) have also booked at the same place and time. They are own strict budgets so we're looking closely at ways to save money. We're thinking of grabbing some hamburgers/hotdogs and grilling out since there's so many places to stop and grill. Maybe pick up a thing of potato salad or cole slaw and some chips. I think we want to do that for one or two meals (lunch or dinner). My kids also love just playing in the creek and doing the waterfall hikes. I plan on packing pb and j's and snacks for lunch and doing these. I look forward to pik nicking in several different places.

I read somewhere that Country Tonight has tickets really cheap. We did that last year so I'm thinking Comedy Barn this year, since the kids are free.

I also buy gas cards throughout the year when our grocery store has deals (get $10 off a $50 gas card) so I have gas covered for this trip. I've heard of people buying giftcards slowly online for places to eat up there, like chain restaurnats, Bubba Gumps, TGIF, Hard Rock etc.....we live in FL and have all those places here so I don't want to eat them on vacation. One SIL does want to eat at Mellow Mushroom so I joined their online club and got a coupond for a free appitizer, I think they also have $5 off of $25 coupons.

There's a website out there called couponingtodisney.com I use her ideas for all of our vacations. Gatlinburg will be our 3rd "big" vacation this summer. I prefer so save money where I can and spend on doing tons of fun things with the kids.

Level Contributor
1,423 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Money saving TIPS in Gatlinburg

I highly reccommend packing a lot of food in coolers at home and taking it with you on the trip. Pretty much everything is going to be more expensive in the area.

We go at least once a year and stay in a chalet, which is much cheaper if you have multiple, paying adults. We buy most of our meats and snacks at home and take them along that way we only eat out once or twice on a 4 or 5 day trip. The restaurants down there are largely overpriced chains. A lot of the locally-owned places are long gone unless you know where to look.

Silver City, New...
Level Contributor
208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money saving TIPS in Gatlinburg

I've bought a lot of restaurant gift cards in advance, as we are driving and will use them on our trip. I did get some on sweetjack that were half price. Last fall we got tickets for both Country Tonite and Comedy Barn for half price at Sweetjack also. Hoping there may be another deal before we leave on July 14, but if not will pay full price as grandson gets in free.

There is a current half price deal at Cooter's for gokart rides and mini golf. I buy as much ahead of time as possible, so do not have to worry about it when we get there. When I bought our Dollywood passes, I also bought a $50 gift certificate that will pay for our meal there. Aquarium tickets are already bought. I have a big envelope full of coupons.

If one has the time to spread buying gift certificates over a fairly long period of time, it works very well. I would guess that 90 percent of our meals are already paid for by purchasing gift certificates.

7. Re: Money saving TIPS in Gatlinburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 06:19