We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bluff Mountain ATV Trip Overt RACISM!!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bluff Mountain ATV Trip Overt RACISM!!

I am posting this in the hope I can save a family from wasting their time and money. We went last Friday after calling the day before and making reservations for 4 people. The brochure said riders must be at least 12, some restrictions apply. I was told if the 12 yr old drove the trip would be at the bottom of the mountain, ok, no problem. We paid $200 for all of us. When we arrived we were given a 20 min lecture on safety that included passing around a laminated sheet stating all the replacement parts on the ATV"S. The guide ROGER asked where everyone was from then said, well I'm not gonna tell you were I'm from, I could live anywere, California, even Brooklyn as long as those black folk left me alone. Quote! I looked at my husband and said , did he really just say that? In hindsight we should have left. We started the ride which had Rodger riding sidesadlled and we never went above 10 mph. He also had it out for my 19 yr old from the beginning, we were about an 1/8 of a mile from the end when he stopped the whole group came to my son at the end and starting yelling loudly at him for weaving (at 8 mph) this was embarrasing for all of us. We pulled up at the end and quickly left so we would not have an argument. I called and spoke with the GM who stated Roger has never been like that before I'm shocked. She said , he's not a racist, and I told her , sure, when no black people are in the same room with him. Also she told me the trip we took is the more scenic route. If I had been told that then my husband and I would have saved some money and let the boys go. Our 12 yr old really wanted to do this.

To close this up, I believe they get your hard earned money and go so slow so that nothing happens to their ATV"S. It's false advertising and a waste of money. And she offered us a free trip that I turned down. I do not wish to conduct business with such blatant racism. My boys said that out of the whole trip to GB (which was great!) that that was the worse time they had. I hope this saves someone from a lot of dissapointment.

Mentioned in this post
The Roger
The Roger
3,365 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bluff Mountain ATV Trip Overt RACISM!!

While it is not my place, let me apologize for what happened. I have lived in Tennessee for over 30 years and, while I do not know the individual person you are talking about, that has been one of the frustrating things about being from the south, some people won't let go of the past. As a white, native Tennessean, even I have seen racial bias, and its frustrating and pathetic. It's easy to blame it on history, upbringing, etc, however I feel that in the 21st Century, this should be a thing of the past.

Again, apologies for any hardship this may have caused, and please do judge the rest of Tennessee based on the actions of a few narrow minded idiots.

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Great Smoky...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bluff Mountain ATV Trip Overt RACISM!!

I am so sorry also that you had that done to your family my best friend is african american and also my husbands best friend is a african american also they would do anything in the world for us good luck

NW Ga
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bluff Mountain ATV Trip Overt RACISM!!

"When we arrived we were given a 20 min lecture on safety that included passing around a laminated sheet stating all the replacement parts on the ATV"S. "

I think this is probably common on this type of deal. I know my mother went on a snowmobile deal like this at yelowstone. She said they made clear upfront the costs of the machines....and you would pay if you damaged it. Knowing in advance that a 200.00 tour might turn into a 2,000.00+ tour would seem to be a good idea. If one of the kids<or hubby for that matter> was known for going nuts and showing out....well....you'd know the cost upfront.

Winchester, TN
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bluff Mountain ATV Trip Overt RACISM!!

Susie,

Im so sorry you had this experience, but everyone I think is pretty much in agreement that this is not the norm.....so dont think badly of all of us!!! Make sure you read Pluvtravel's post on racism, might help ease your mind.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
268 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bluff Mountain ATV Trip Overt RACISM!!

"When we arrived we were given a 20 min lecture on safety that included passing around a laminated sheet stating all the replacement parts on the ATV"S. "

Yeah, I'd agree that this is the norm. Given the fact that on all full-size ATVs I've ever seen they have a huge sticker that says no riders under the age of 16 and everyone has to take an approved safety course. The liability insurance on this type of outfit has to be massively expensive.

Of course, I don't think you were even complaining about this part Susie62, just letting everyone know that it was a boring, time-taking part of your paid vacation. I'd hate to have to sit through it as well.

I've never been on one of these paid riding things. Do you think he made everyone go slower because there were some riders younger than 16 on the trip? Or did you get the feeling that all rides were this slow?

And as far as the stupid remarks by the fella Roger, he won't have a job much longer as such remarks will quickly hurt Bluff Mountain's business. I mean, you know this couldn't have been the first time he said such things!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bluff Mountain ATV Trip Overt RACISM!!

I would never ever think everyone is this way, I met the nicest people while we were there! I loved GB and so did my family.This is just one narrow minded fool as far as I'm concerned.

I think what I was trying to say about the long lecture is that we signed waivers, had the talk, were informed the $2.47 we paid was for our health not the cost of the ATV's. I think it would be very difficult to damage one going slower than a horse. We have done ATV trips in different parts of the country and in Mexico, and no I have never been on one that was so slow and boring. Of course with our 12 yr we didn't want to be Indy 500, but also for Rodger to chew out my son for weaving at 8mph was unacceptable. I think they get your money then after that it really does not matter to them. But we refuse to let that be the one focus our our fantastic trip!!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
gatlinburg, TN
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bluff Mountain ATV Trip Overt RACISM!!

Susie62:

I live in G'Burg and am sorry for your bad experience. Unfortunatley there are 'Roger's' in every city /town in the US. I traveled and relocated for all of my career and finally got my wish....to settle in the Smoky Mountains (came home). For the most part, people are honest and very easy going. Life is pretty simple here.

I would bet Roger is not from the area. I will also bet that this ATV business won't be here very long, if that's their attitude towards this type of stuff.

Hope you charged the ATV adventure on American Express, where you can dispute the charges and make them really work for payment or even agree to a lesser charge!

As for the Chicago couple with concerns...this place can be a 'hoot'. Don't worry about anything....you'll be looking at more people than those looking at you!!!! Trust me!

Trust the posters on this site with inside info; especially 'Mountain Man' and others.

You should all have a great trip and lots of fun.

GBG

Mentioned in this post
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bluff Mountain ATV Trip Overt RACISM!!

You are so right GBG, there is always an idiot in every town! But no, we paid cash up front and when I spoke with the GM she only offered a free trip next year which I turned down. As I said before they only want your money they don't care about repeat customers. This will free up our vacation to Gb next year to do something else! Thanks , Susie

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bluff Mountain ATV Trip Overt RACISM!!

This guy Roger needs to get GRIP!! Where ever he came from he needs to go back. We are all God's children. Why does skin color make a difference??????? I teach school and I have African American students, Chinese students, White students, Spanish Students, all races. I do not care what color their skin is- They are all God's Children and children need to be taught skin color does not matter and to respect everyone. I really hate that happen to you. My husband, (part Indian/white) is a very nice looking man, nice built, tan and I am (White) short and fat - People stare at us all the time. When we go in somewhere to eat - I see the stares and it hurts. I just try to ignore stupid people.

Indiana
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bluff Mountain ATV Trip Overt RACISM!!

We Just got back from a wonderful family reunion at the Preserve Resort Cabins in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. We did Whitewater Rafting, Tubing, Dixie Stampede, Nascar Speed Track and several other activities.

All of the people and businesses we dealt with were wonderful, friendly and accomodating for our grou of 24 people.

"EXCEPT" Bluff Mountain ATV Rentals! Let Me Explain

3 months before our trip I called and tried to make reservations for 18 adults and 2 youths to ride. I was told they don't take reservations because it isn't neccessary because they have plenty of ATV''s. for everyone, and to just call an hour or two before you come so they could be ready for you. On the day of wanting to go I called the office to make sure they knew how many and when we were coming and she said we need all members to come in person to one of the two offices to guarantee a ride. I asked if I could pay in advance so that we wouldn't drive up the mountain in 5 cars for 1 1/2 hours to find out we can't go. She wouldn't do it so I called right before we left and she said no problem but hurry up!

When we arrived the girl at the main office said I can't get you out together now, she was to say the least matter of fact about our huge inconveinence and dissapointment. She didn't even attempt to apologize, she acted like it was just too bad you should have driven faster or something.( her computer screen said "is it time to go home yet") We wound up having to leave and come back and split up for different time rides.

It was the worst experience we all had and I would tell you to find something else to do unless you like rude incociderate behavior along with a day of your vacation wasted...............

NO BLUFF!!!!!!!! This Was Aweful............................

Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN