We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blowing Rock, Boone Area

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Danbury, Connecticut
2 posts
Save Topic
Blowing Rock, Boone Area

I have been to this area many times in the Fall, including Chimney Rock, Lynville Falls, Grandfather Mountain, etc. I believe the leaf changes are more spectacular here than in New England. We are planning to go back this year but cannot decide weather the peak color changes would be best in the 3rd or 4th week in October. Basically we would be coming from the Northeast along I81 to I77 to Boone and Blowing Rock continuing though the Pisgah Mountains to Ashevile then through the Great Smokie Mountains NP and north through Daniel Boone Nat Forest and the Cumberland region to Lexington, KY. It's about an 11 day trip. We can't decide whether the leak colors would peak from October 16 - 26 or from the Oct 26 - Nov 2. Any help or general comments from knowledgable persons would greatly appreciated.

north west england
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blowing Rock, Boone Area

You may get a better response if you post this to the Boone Forum, rather than Gatlinberg

Alabama
Level Contributor
916 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blowing Rock, Boone Area

Choose earlier.

La Porte, IN
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blowing Rock, Boone Area

I talked to a local about 2 weeks ago, and their opinion is that it will be an early fall due to the weather this year. Have always heard the colors are spectular here, can't wait!!!

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blowing Rock, Boone Area

gatlinburgtnguide.com/news/…

Here's an excerpt from this article:

"Smoky Mountain Fall Color Forecast Sep, 6 2013 – The immense amount of rain this summer has caused many experts to be concerned about a shorter fall color season. The most important ingredient right now in September is to have many sunny days with cool nights…and it looks like that is in the forecast very soon! Currently, we’re anticipating fall colors to make their debut in the upper elevations around the 2nd week of October and then trickling down into the valley through the 3rd week of October and wrapping up around the end of October. As of right now, we would not advise coming any later than October if you want to see the best fall foliage in the Smokies."

5. Re: Blowing Rock, Boone Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 06:21