We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Bear

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
unionville tenn.
Level Contributor
845 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown Bear

For all you people wanting to know where to go to see bears.Our local Middle Tenn. news station had a story on this morning about a young bear being in downtown Gatlinburg. during the daytime He was standing on the convention center steps. The video showed lots of people around. Were any of you there to see this? The convention center is right across the street from the hotel we usually stay at.

unionville tenn.
Level Contributor
845 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown Bear

Go to wbir.com if you want to watch the video.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown Bear

At least he uses the crosswalk. I hope everyone hears what the ranger has to say at the end, they are fun to watch but stay away!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown Bear

That bear was in a state of panic. There were a few people that acted really stupid in almost cornering the bear at the top of the steps of the convention center while trying to get photographs. It was VERY fortunate that the bear found a way out of the area before he/she was forced into lashing out. Anyone could see that the bear was freaking out and just wanted to get away.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown Bear

Saw that clip on our local station yesterday evening too. It must be getting really bad in Gatlinburg when even a bear can't find a parking space! :)

But, right you are, people should have given it as much room as possible.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown Bear

Here's a link to the video:

wbir.com/video/2660723035001/1/Bear-uses-cro…

Poor guy was obviously scared to death, and some of the bystanders trying get close pictures were adding to his anxiety. I'm glad nothing bad happened.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown Bear

I'm always amazed at the idiots that jump out of their cars and rush off into the woods to get pictures of bears. There was a guy in Cades Cove that came running back out of the woods trying to encourage others to follow him back to the bears. When he came to our vehicle I politely told him he was crazy.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown Bear

We watched it last night on Nashville's N.B.C. news. That really would have been something to capture on film. I saw those two young guys walking up those steps to get a better shot of that bear....it would have been a tragedy if that bear had lashed out at those two dummies. (you could plainly see the bear changing its direction, to avoid those two) The REAL tragedy would have been if the bear had attacked them, the police or park rangers would have had to kill the bear for defending itself. Some people are so foolish, or stupid.

Highland, Illinois
Level Contributor
181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown Bear

We were there the day it happened. I heard about it the next morning in the motel office. I didn't see the video until we got home last night. Earlier that morning my wife was taking a morning walk from Carr's to the Parkway. On her way back a cub stepped out between the mini mart and the building next to it. She said it looked confused and went in and out between the buildings and the East Parkway about 3 times. She figured mama bear wasn't too far away so snapped a quick picture then hurried across the street.

Silver City, New...
Level Contributor
208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown Bear

Its a shame, in a way, that the people getting so close to that bear could not be fined. I felt so bad for the bear, but was glad he did all he could to avoid people. I don't know what its going to take for people to realize these are WILD animals.

10. Re: Downtown Bear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2014, 05:16