We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Gatlinburg a Worthwhile Visit on a Solo Ride?

Frankfort, Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Is Gatlinburg a Worthwhile Visit on a Solo Ride?

Riding down to Gatlinburg on my motorcycle in October to enjoy the GSMNP and will probably also ride the Blue Ridge Parkway. That said, it's a lot of solo riding, and while I'm comfortable with that, sometimes need to get out for some plain ol' conversation and human contact. And while meeting people is not my primary purpose, riding and scenery is, that is the little extra that adds to the enjoyment.

Are there places in Gatlinburg for low key adult nightlife where one may strike up a conversation, enjoy people watching, and hangout? Or, are people in their vacation bubbles, scuttling around in groups or couples and Gatlinburg is merely a pass-through traffic annoyance?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Gatlinburg a Worthwhile Visit on a Solo Ride?

I think you will be just fine. Gatlinburg has always been a very friendly town. There are a nummber of bars on the main pkwy to hang out at and meet people. We enjoy meeting and talking to other travelers. I think it makes the trip more interesting.

The Blue Ridge Pkwy will be very pretty during October with all the different color leaves.

I would also include a drive up to Cades Coves.

At night I would head over to The Island in Pigeon Forge or Moonshine Holler in Gatlinburg. They always have some sort of band playing.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 23:17
SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Gatlinburg a Worthwhile Visit on a Solo Ride?

I'd nix cades cove- it's a clutch burner with all the stopped gawkers. Definitely hit GB around lites6-9 Smoky Moonshine or the Irish Pub will do nicely. I enjoy afternoons at Deals Gap for MC meet and greet. Watch the wet leaves.

Frankfort, Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Gatlinburg a Worthwhile Visit on a Solo Ride?

Goldrushjunkie - Thanks for the tips. Now for an add-on question, though I don't know if you can answer. "Is it possible to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway on the spur-of-the-moment without making reservations at hotels and such?"

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Gatlinburg a Worthwhile Visit on a Solo Ride?

October is a very busy month, but you can always find a room even during the busy times, but the rates will be higher. We have made the trip down there plenty of times without making reservations. You have to drive around sometimes to find out if they have rooms or look for the (no)vacancy signs.

I would take a chance and go!

La Porte, IN
Level Contributor
105 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Gatlinburg a Worthwhile Visit on a Solo Ride?

I too am making a trip solo, but I already have a room. You should have no problems with going solo. Like others have posted you'll just have to look for room, if you can't find room in PF or Gatlinburg, maybe look little further out. Can't wait for fall colors, and hoping I'm not going too late.

Enjoy the trip, drive safe but most of all have fun!!!!!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,359 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Gatlinburg a Worthwhile Visit on a Solo Ride?

We did this trip in the car but entered the BRP at Cherokee and made many stops for photos, hiked to a waterfall at Graveyard Fields the went as far as the Mt. Pisgah Inn. Its a small hotel on the side of the mountain and about 20 miles outside of Ashville. If you like wine this places has lots of it on tap! I wanted so much to stay the night so we could sample a few! However we were camping so couldnt stay on this trip. We then back tracked a little ways and came down thru Waynesville and the 321 to get back to PF & Gatlinburg. If you want something close to the dragons tail as far a ride goes, take the road from Waynesville to Brevard. Stop at Sliding rock and Looking glass falls for photos, then Dry falls over in Highlands. This is a very winding road, not sure if thats what you are looking for. There was not a lot of traffic when we went. Its a nice day trip. You can also access this route from the opposite way, Cherokee thru Bryson /Dillsboro then Highlands then up from Brevard.

Franklin, Ohio
Level Contributor
171 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Gatlinburg a Worthwhile Visit on a Solo Ride?

Be sure to ride the Clingman's Dome road. I'm sure it will be beautiful this time of year. As for hangouts, we like Hogs & Honeys on the main strip. Friendly people, decent drink prices and they have an area you can sit outside that looks over the strip for people watching.

8. Re: Is Gatlinburg a Worthwhile Visit on a Solo Ride?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 06:22