We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick trip report (Rocky Top Wine Trail)

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Quick trip report (Rocky Top Wine Trail)

I went for a quick trip with some girlfriends this past weekend. We had a blast and of course time flew too fast and I can't wait to go back. :)

I got into the area about 1pm on Friday. My friends were coming up from Georgia, and they weren't due in until about 4pm, so I had some time to kill. I took the Gatlinburg Bypass (which felt nearly deserted), stopped at the overlooks and got some great pictures of the gorgeous fall colors. Simply stunning. Then I proceeded to Sugarlands to walk to Cataract Falls. Very easy short walk along a creek. Perfect for small kids, elderly, and I think you can take pets on this trail. The falls were moving nicely. Saw several warbler species of birds on this trail, as well as about 10 other species. Walked back, and then headed into town.

I stopped at the Sugarlands Winery to buy a few bottles of wine. I was talking to the guy pouring, and he was nice enough to give me 4 stamped cards for the Rocky Top Wine Trail, one for me and 3 for my friends. Go to 3 wineries and get 3 stamps, and you get a free wine glass. Go to all 5, and get the wine glass AND either a tshirt or tumbler glass. After that, I went to our condo. We stayed at a privately owned townhouse in Gatlinburg Village (Light #6, on Baskins Creek Rd) yet again. I just can't beat the location and price (easy walking distance to the Parkway too, no crazy uphill walks). It's always suited my needs. I relaxed for another hour or so, read a book on the screened in balcony until my Georgia friends arrived.

After they arrived, we hung out, sampled the wine, and then headed to the Parkway for shopping and dinner. We stopped at Davy Crockett's Whiskey Distillery to sample. Oh my. It was tasty. All except for the Moonshine. I don't like it when the air smells like burning. One of my friends bought a bottle of the "Christmas in a bottle," which is a cream liqueor whiskey flavored with cinnamon. Oh my. It was quite heavenly. I'm kicking myself for not buying a bottle of my own. I will have to see if they ship. We then stopped at Gigi's for some tiny cheesecakes to get the taste of the moonshine out. Gigi's is always good. We had dessert before dinner, but my mom wasn't there, so it was ok. ;) We headed to dinner at Smoky Mountain Brewery because we had a beer lover with us. The hostess told us the wait for 4 was only about 25 minutes, which ended up being closer to an hour. When you have a hungry pregnant woman in your party, waiting for longer than expected is not a good thing (not me, my friend). We finally were seated, and our server was awesome (Julio, I think his name was?). Pretzels and beer cheese tasted better than I remembered. Burgers were good, beer was better. We then headed back to our condo and called it a night (after some more Christmas in a bottle).

We slept in for a little bit on Saturday. Got up, and headed to find a place that didn't have a super long wait (pregnant friend, remember?). The line for Pancake Pantry was out the door and so far into The Village that I couldn't see the end. Log Cabin had a similar line outside. We ended up at Flapjacks on the main Parkway, where we only waited for about 10 minutes. They had a little gift shop which was nice for browsing. Our server wasn't the friendliest and she forgot a coffee, but she was decent. All food was hot and good and served quickly. It's a decent backup breakfast location.

We then headed up into the National park. One of our friends had never been there. We stopped at the Chimney Tops trailhead, got some pictures of the river and the gorgeous color. Then we headed up to Newfound Gap. The tree color up there was already done for, and the temp was about 25 degrees colder. We got rained, hailed, and snowed on. We walked up the AT a little bit, took some pictures. Then we headed back down the mountain.

Stopped at the condo, then headed up to Pigeon Forge. We stopped for desserts at the Happy Days diner next to the Comedy Barn. It was ok, but if I have any say, I won't go back. Then we decided it was time for more wine. We hit up Mountain Valley, HIllside, and Apple Barn Winery all in the span of about 2 hours. Sooooo much wine, sooooo little time. Between Sugarland on Friday, MV and Hillside, I bought 5 bottles. I wasn't too much of a fan of the Apple wines. We had the BEST wine pourers at MV and Hillside. We got our free wine glasses at HIllside.

Then we went to The Christmas Place. Ornaments were buy 3, get 1 free (equal or lesser value). If you don't use your noggin, you can really get hosed on the "deal." I had 4 $2 ornaments I wanted to get, 4 $3 ornaments, and 4 $6 for a total of 12 ornaments. Now, if I had them all rung up together like the cashier wanted me to, I would have only gotten three of the $2 ornaments for "free" for a savings of $6. I insisted she ring the 3 sets up separately though (which took more time and effort on her part, but the check out line was not busy and had no wait). Which in turn, saved me a total of $11. Worth it, IMO. But I'm a budgeter.

It was pushing 8:30pm by the time we left. We opted for dinner at the PF Alamo steakhouse. No wait at that time of night. Server was great, food was good and served fairly quickly. I would definitely go back there. We decided to call it an early night since we wanted to get up early to go do Roaring Fork with the hopes of seeing a bear.

We were on the road about 7:45 or so Sunday morning. Didn't see any bear, but did see some deer (just does, no bucks) and turkeys. We were at the Trillium Gap trailhead at about 8:30 and were one of 5 cars. We passed 3 people on the way up. Grotto Falls were flowing nice and we got some great pictures. On our way down, we passed a bazillion people and the parking lot was overflowing. It always pays to get on the trails early!

We finished RFMNT and headed back to the townhouse to get packed up and checked out. We were famished. We ended up at the Red Rooster in PF for brunch. It was ok, I doubt I go back. Nothing special, but there was no wait. We ended our trip at Eagle Creek Winery in Kodak on our way back to I-40 so we could get our free tumblers/tshirts. I'm not a fan of honey wines, but their apricot wine wasn't too bad.

Some random observations:

I've never seen so many people blatantly disregard the National Park rules in regards to dogs on the trails. The rule is there for a reason. AT, Chimney Tops, and Trillium Gap to Grotto Falls ALL were full of dogs. I can understand that little bit of the AT, because it's so near the Newfound Gap parking lot, BUT.... yeah. If you can't keep your dog at home or at a kennel, then you don't get to hike with it. You are not special, and the rules still apply to you.

If someone is pouring you a "Free" sample of alcohol, give them a tip. Even if you don't want to buy their alcohol, not leaving a couple bucks is rude. I witnessed so many people at the wineries and Davy Crockett's tasting but then not leaving a tip. Even if there is no "tip jar" $2 on the counter is still appreciated by the server.

Pancake Pantry by far has the best pancakes in the area. I really missed not eating there this trip. I still want to try Log Cabin though! Red Rooster and Flapjacks just really didn't compare.

Edited: 04 November 2013, 15:32
Bath
Level Contributor
30 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick trip report (Rocky Top Wine Trail)

Very nice report! I love reading about others' trips to the Gatlinburg area.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick trip report (Rocky Top Wine Trail)

Ugh, I forgot to mention the annoying timeshare hawkers outside of the Alamo. I've never heard of Blue Green. Did they buy someone out? Claimed to be the largest "vacation package" company in the world. I told them their logo looks like a corkscrew, and that reminded me we needed to buy more wine. The one guy didn't laugh. They said Blue Green membership was for married couples only, I told him we were sister-wives. He didn't belive me. They were only pushy for 5 minutes, and then we escaped.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick trip report (Rocky Top Wine Trail)

Irishlake, I so agree with you on the dog situation.

Blue Green used to have some of those round cabins there on 321 a few miles from Gatlinburg. Not sure if they have any others.

Ditto on the Pancake Pantry, my favorite for 45 years. Too expensive, but still my fav.

Great trip report

4. Re: Quick trip report (Rocky Top Wine Trail)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 November 2013, 11:35
Alabama
Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick trip report (Rocky Top Wine Trail)

Awesome report. Agree with you 100% about the pets.

Alabama
Level Contributor
971 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick trip report (Rocky Top Wine Trail)

Oh you missed the BEST thing at Red Rooster!!! I had the cinnamon, apple, raisin pancakes and they were to die for! Only ONE thing could make it better....have the pecan pancakes with this compote on top of that!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
4,424 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick trip report (Rocky Top Wine Trail)

Hey Irish.You had a great trip. Loved reading about your trip. I'm so glad you all had a wonderful time. We will be leaving in a couple of days. Woot Woot!!!

Was there still some good leaf colors left?

(I thought of you the other day when I made those tators...Champ Rules)

Edited: 05 November 2013, 05:10
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,254 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick trip report (Rocky Top Wine Trail)

Super trip report. Thanks for taking the time to write it. Makes me wish I were there. I will have to do the wine trail next time I go up. I agree about the dogs, not only do they endanger their pet they are endagering other people. Good work on getting the deals at the Christmas Place. We have not tried the Alamo in PF but like the one in Gatlinburg very much.

I can't believe how agressive the time share people are becoming. Have heard they are now stationing themselves outside of Bass Pro Shops and other retail stores. I won't even talk to them. They had a documentary recently on Westgate and how they are trained to pressure people.

unionville tenn.
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick trip report (Rocky Top Wine Trail)

Thanks for the trip report. I always enjoy reading about the good and the bad of other people's adventures!Makes the time between my trips pass by faster!

Edited: 06 November 2013, 03:23
Arkansas Ozarks
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick trip report (Rocky Top Wine Trail)

Thoroughly enjoyed your trip report. Haven't been to the area in years but we've been discussing a trip. The Rocky Top Wine Trail would be a must for us.