We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK, The real Bear Stories

gatlinburg, TN
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Topic
OK, The real Bear Stories

Thank you Laurel-Springs...you are correct.

Story #1

A few weeks ago, a house below me had an issue with a bear. The house is 10 bedrooms and only has 3 protected trash cans. One early morning a mother bear and her 3 cubs were outside going through the garbage they had put beside the 'cans'. When the guest saw the bears, they actually allowed their kids to go outside to see and take pictures of the cubs. Well, the Mother Bear stood upright and everybody scattered. They called the park service and animal control. Park Service brought a 'bear trap' and put it in the drive-way (this does not harm the bear in any manner) 2 mornings later they trapped the bear. When I saw the trapped bear, I stopped by to talk to the idiots as they were having a 'side-show' of the trapped bear and their kids were running around banging on the trap! I told them that there has been a mother bear w/cubs in my yard and I would hope this was not her. They said ..."oh, no" this was a male bear" Now, why did I ask idiots a question like this ??

Park Service shows up, they were going to 'put the bear down' and it was the mother bear. Resident neighbors finally convinced him to release the bear. The mother bears was actually crying for her cubs (which were in my yard in the trees, also crying) I've never seen this before and it breaks me up to even talk about it.

Story 2

About a week later, a local idiot saw a mother bear and 3 cubs???

up around Ski Mt. He gets out of the car to take pictures, leaves the door open and his dog jumps out of the car and goes after the cubs. He goes to save his dog and Moma swats at him, grazing his upper body. The Rangers came and put the bear down and took the cubs to away.

Well, I am totally upset again with tears, forgive the typing, I can't see the keys.

GBG

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
677 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OK, The real Bear Stories

Maybe we should trap the idiot people and relocate THEM!!!!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: OK, The real Bear Stories

Now we have the whole story. Makes me so very, very sad. Thank you both for explaining the side of the story that only those who are local and live among the bears would know. I don't understand how some people can be so uncaring and cruel. It makes me sick.

alabama
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OK, The real Bear Stories

Story #1 reminds me that even though there are people like us,who come to the Smokies year in and year out because we have an undying love and appreciation for the area,I'm afraid most of the people that come into Gatlinburg are like those idiots you spoke of.They are just ignorant one timer,ham and eggers that don't don't give a rip about anything or anybody but themselves,and its clowns like that who have contributed to the downfall of the area.As for the local idiots,every local has its idiots,not a lot can be done to cure stupidity.

NW Ga
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: OK, The real Bear Stories

"Maybe we should trap the idiot people and relocate THEM!!!!!"

They'll just come back.....best to have the rangers put THEM down. Help clean up the gene pool in the process.

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OK, The real Bear Stories

Lets trap those dumb jerks and bang on the cage, poke at them and then lets just shoot them to see how well they like it. Stupid people!! How can some one be so cruel. How would the mother of those children like to be in that bears plcae? What kind of mother sends her children outside with wild bears in the yard to take pictures? i mean for goodness sake stay inside and take a picture through the window. First of all why did she leave the garbage out like that in the fist place. OOOOOO I am getting upset.

Under your bed
Level Contributor
334 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OK, The real Bear Stories

Humans can be so disgusting sometimes. We were in town when the incident with the Sevier County man happened. I remember hearing the ambulance wailing as it went past our condo building, and wondering what had happened. Then we heard the story on the news that night. Made all three of us sick. That poor bear. The other story has upset me too. The total lack of respect for nature amazes me.

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OK, The real Bear Stories

AMEN AMEN AMEN metalwulf!!!

Which condo did you stay in?

alabama
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OK, The real Bear Stories

UH,lets not shoot them,they may be idiots but still humans.

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OK, The real Bear Stories

Ok I wont shoot them. But............ Why do they have to be the way they are??????

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OK, The real Bear Stories

Wow....you guys are tough, I don't know who to fear more....bears or you