We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ober gatlinburg this year SUCKS

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Ober gatlinburg this year SUCKS

This is out 3rd time to pigeon five/gatlinburg.. IF YOUR NOT SKIING don't waste your time going to OBER GATLINBURG.. you can't touch the snow, it is completely fenced off, you have to pay to goto the snow, the animal exhibit is a waste, almost all animal exhibits were empty.. the mall area is WAY WAY outdated and is way overdue for an upgrade.. best time was the tram and scenic lift..

TUBING? If your not in line to buy tickets by like 8am (in gatlinburg) your not tubing that day and you can't buy tickets in advance or online.. Alpine slide was closed.. don't waste time getting a wristband, its a waste of money..

To sum it up, if your not skiing or snowboarding.. DONTWASTE YOUR TIME AT OBER GATLINBURG.. stay in gatlinburg.. its the best time

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ober gatlinburg this year SUCKS

I feel your frustration. I have a home there and made the mistake one year around new years of trying to even get up there to snowboard. Took 4 hours to get on and up the lift and another two hours on line for equipment. Was dark by the time we got on the snow and wall to wall packed with people. It's the time of year. Worst time to go which I know stinks because it's vacation time for so many. The tubing is always mobbed

Level Contributor
1,387 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ober gatlinburg this year SUCKS

Ober has been rundown for 20 years. Really surprised it's still there. I suppose all the cash they rake in from the Aerial Tram and Alpine Slide pay the bills to keep it running.

The tubing thing is a disaster from what I hear from friends that went last winter..

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
294 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ober gatlinburg this year SUCKS

We've only been there in the summer time, but haven't bothered to even visit that area the last few years. It was a huge disappointment every time we went. Eating there is also super expensive for crappy food.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
467 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ober gatlinburg this year SUCKS

The last time we tried to go to Ober Gatlinburg, we were shocked to find out one had to pay just to drive up there. When we used to drive up there & there was no fee to be there. Of course one had to pay for the Alpine slide, etc., but not to be up there. Needless to say, but we won't go to Ober Gatlinburg again.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ober gatlinburg this year SUCKS

I am in agreement that Ober needs to be updated. I really believe if they invested more money into making it a nicer place to visit, they would get that money back tenfold. They have such a great opporunity to make this a fun beginner/family ski place as well as a fun family place to enjoy a winter day, yet haven't done anything to it in years. The animal/bear exhibit needs to go away as well, as it just doesn't even seem to be a humane environment for the bears. I believe in the mentality of 'if you build it, they will come', and think this is a prime example of a part of town that needs updated in order to attract more people to it.

Ober has become one of those place in town that you spend money on to see Once, yet never go back due to it being so rundown. Sad to say that, as it really could be a GREAT place to visit over and over again

Edited: 03 January 2014, 16:50
Alabama
Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ober gatlinburg this year SUCKS

I agree that the place needs an overhaul. We visited several years ago and have never been back. And deputy836 I agree with you about the bear exhibit. It is very sad to look at.

greenville, sc
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ober gatlinburg this year SUCKS

Thank you very much for your posts! You answered my question about if we could get to the snow without paying for skiing and saved us from going there just to be disappointed by how run down the attraction is.

Northeast...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ober gatlinburg this year SUCKS

Last time we went skiing at Ober, the tram ride was included in our ski package.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ober gatlinburg this year SUCKS

@Sammy.. your welcome..

I would expect the tram ride and other events to be included in any Ski Package, that's what they are targeting, but from what I'm hearing it takes forever just to get on the slopes whether you're skiing or snowboarding.. if you're not ice skating or skiing then Ober Gatlinburg is a waste of time

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Level Contributor
34 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ober gatlinburg this year SUCKS

Over Gatlingburg has sucked for quite a number of years! Sad! It could be great but is so very, very out dated and run down! I also feel that when you pay the high price for the tram to get up there the attractions should be included....many years ago, they use to be! It's just not worth the money any more....even the bathrooms are awful!