We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 03-21-03-25

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
426 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 03-21-03-25

Just got back from a short spring break trip with my wife and 6 year old daughter. It was a wonderful trip as always. This is my daughters first trip to the area and I thought spring break would be the perfect time. My wife and I usually stay for over a week, but limited it to 3 nights incase a 6 year olds interest would be lost easily.

We left Wisconsin Friday the 21st early. We drove to London KY to spend the night. Didn't want to go the whole way with a 6 year old not knowing how she would do for that long in a car.

We got up early the morning of the 22nd and had breakfast at Cracker Barrell. We stop at the KY/TN state line rest area to get our brocheres and coupon booklets. This is a tradition to stop here to get that information. We pulled into Sevierville around 1030 and proceeded to Sugarlands Visitors Center. We did the small hike to Cataract Falls and then went to Laurel Falls trailhead. I dropped the girls off at the trail head and I had to park probably a quarter mile past the lot. So I was able to catch up to them.

I figured Laurel Falls would be the perfect first hike for a 6 year old. Lot of people on the trail as the temp was hovering near 70. We spend close to an hour at the falls taking pictures and exploring. My 6 year old wanted to climb down to the bottom so we did that. I was very impressed that she managed just fine and really enjoyed the outdoors.

We left Gatlinburg and proceeded to Pigeon Forge to check into our hotel, the Park Grove Inn. We went to Texas Road house for dinner and then hit The Track. I scored a Groupon for $40 for $95 dollars in points. So we did some go karting and mini golf to end a perfect day.

We kind of slept in till 7 Sunday morning. We left hotel around 930 and went to Circle G Ranch on the other side of Seiverville. When we got there, we didn't know what to expect. Looked very run down. But that changed quickly. Once the animals saw us, they can running as they knew they would get fed. We bought 3 buckets of food and they came right up to the vehicle. Emu's, deer, cows, longhorns, goats, pigs, zebra's, just to name a few. They are not shy. My daughter absolutely loved it. They even let you drive through again if you want.

We then headed to Pigeon Forge to have lunch at Apple Barn. Great as always. My daughter saw a Magic Quest brochere from a previous trip and this is the one thing she wanted to do. So we did that. We got a work out going from location to location to find the clues. You get to keep the wand and continue where you left off on your next visit.

We then went to the island for a little bit. We decided to go on the wheel which was nice. It didn't seem as high up top as compared to being on the ground and looking up at it. Once the island is complete, it is going to be the place to be in Pigeon Forge if you like food, shopping, and entertainment.

On Monday the 24th we got up early to hit Cades Cove. We saw plenty of deer but no bear. Oh well, maybe next time. We stopped at probably 5 homesteads as my 6 year old loved exploring. Once we left Cades Coves, we parked and Gburg to walk the streets and grab lunch. It wouldn't be a trip to Gburg without a visit to Fannie Farkles for a corn dog. Once we left Gburg we headed back to Pigeon Forge and spent more time at the track.

We then had to make the decision to stay through Tuesday and head home Wednesday or leave Tuesday morning. Well the weather forcast was for snow, rain, ice, etc for Tuesday so we headed back north to Wisconsin. I wasn't worried about driving since we live in WI and I have 4 wheel drive, but if 441 is closed, than access to the national park is limited. So we left Pigeon Forge by 8am and pulled into WI by 730pm.

It was a great trip but short. I am glad my 6 year old enjoyed herself. It was the perfect time length for her age as she didn't get bored one bit. This short trip will also enable just my wife and I to do a 4 night trip more frequently than our once a year week trip.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 03-21-03-25

Great report! I'm looking forward to seeing Circle G Ranch.

SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 03-21-03-25

Thank You for the report!

Got me itchin' to go!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,166 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 03-21-03-25

Very nice TR have not been to Gatlinburg in a while but we had a great time when we did go.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
226 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 03-21-03-25

Loved reading your TR, we are going in May, I haven't heard of the Circle G Ranch, that's going on the to-do list. Thanks for taking the time to write, gave me some ideas.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 03-21-03-25

Great Trip Report, thank you for sharing. Glad to hear that your daughter enjoyed exploring the Park =-)

I'll be there in a couple of weeks and am hoping the bear have come out of hibernation by then; would love to see some cubs =-)

6. Re: Trip Report 03-21-03-25

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 05:16