We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Second Visit

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newark, Ohio
Level Contributor
65 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Planning Second Visit

We are planning our 2nd visit this June 10-14th, last year we stayed right on the parkway. Again this year we would also like to find a hotel right on the parkway so we don't have to drive anywhere, were a couple in our early 60's. any suggestions out there on good hotels right on the parkway.

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
841 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning Second Visit

Greystone Lodge at the Aquarium is right on the parkway in a convenient location next to the Aquarium and the trolley station, although we walked everywhere. Our room was completely renovated and pretty nice for a strip hotel. Some riverfront rooms, plenty of parking onsite and a decent free hot breakfast.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning Second Visit

When you say the "parkway", I'm not sure which parkway you're referring to. Since we've never stayed in Gat/burg, I can't really recommend any motel there....however, we HAVE stayed many times at "CREEKSTONE INN" on North River Rd in Pig/Forge, & "TWIN MOUNTAIN" motel, located on the other side of the river, diagonally across from "CREEKSTONE INN". Both are pretty modern, clean & well maintained. Lately we've been staying in cabins. But I wouldn't hesitate for a second to stay there again. But if I HAD to choose between the two, I'd choose "TWIN MOUNTAIN" only because its a few years newer. (I love the sounds of the river and the ever present ducks from the balcony at both motels.)

Ray

Newark, Ohio
Level Contributor
65 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Second Visit

Thanks for your advice

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,519 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning Second Visit

We have stayed at the Clarion which is the closest hotel to the park but not in the center of Gatlinburg so you have to walk a bit to get to everything. Not overly far tho. I liked that they had balconies facing the mountain. I am an early riser so would go sit on the balcony and watch the smoky mist in the mornings.

We have also stay at the Best Western Twin Islands. which is an older hotel but we have always has clean rooms and love to hear the creek outside our room at night. Our friends stay at the Rivers Edge which is near Greystone. It seems to have good and bad reviews, however our friends seem to like it. Both of those hotels are pretty much in the center, Rivers Edge being a little closer to everything in Gatlinburg.

We have also stayed at the Willowbrook in Pigeon Forge which was nice but only a few rooms on the creek, same with Best Western in Pigeon Forge. Only a few rooms on the water and the river there is very small in that section. Hotel was nice tho, clean and had 2 pools and fairly central in Pigeon Forge.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning Second Visit

We love staying on river rd. which is just 1 block behind the pkwy. We like riverhouse motor lodge and old creek lodge. It seems like were tucked away in the mountains but only steps away from the attractions. Riverhouse is centrally located on river rd. We have stayed at the Clarion and it was nice but it's at the park end of the pkwy so it would be a long walk to the other end. We also like Quality inn Creekside and it's right on the pkwy but doesn't face the pkwy.

Edited: 08 April 2014, 21:03
Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning Second Visit

Not right on the Parkway but in a quiet area just off the Parkway within easy walking distance of everything is Baskins Creek Condos/Mountain Vista Luxury Rentals. These condos are super nice, very quiet and well maintained. The red trolley stops right outside the main lobby if you want to take the trolley.

http://www.mvlr.com/

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning Second Visit

As already mentioned, I would suggest you consider staying on River Road. It is a much quieter street than Parkway. We just returned from a stay at The Edgewater Hotel - we've stayed there numerous times over the years - reasonable prices, clean rooms, friendly staff, just make sure you request a river view and NOT a mountain view (hotel is basically built in the hillside so not much to see on the mountain side). The river views over look Little Pigeon River and if you get one of the higher floors (I like around the 6th floor) - you can see the town plus the Smoky Mtns. in the distance as well. You can cross River Road and cut through the hotel parking lot across the street and you'll be smack dab right in the middle of Parkway - easy walking in either direction to all the sights and eats on Parkway. They have free continental breakfast - make your own waffles and a few other options which change daily - not the biggest selection or choices but you can't complain when it's free. They also have an indoor/outdoor heated pool and hot tubs - and the pool temps were perfect when we were there last week.

Northwest Ohio
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning Second Visit

Hi,

We really enjoy Jack Huff's www.jackhuffs.com/. Clean rooms located right behind "The Village Shops"-home of the famous Donut Friar!

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning Second Visit

I would suggest the Hampton Inn, Clarion (good reviews, but I've never stayed), and Jack Huffs (1/2 block off Parkway but easy access into the Village for a nice morning/evening stroll, and coffee. Some of the other hotels right on the Parkway itself may have great locations, but they are rundown, need upgraded, cleaned, or just gutted, etc.

You can't ever go wrong with a Hampton Inn in my opinion, although this property has outdoor corridors unlike most Hampton Inns. They do have the great comfy beds, great hot breakfast, and always clean. There also is a Hilton Garden Inn on River Rd behind where the Hampton is.

Whenever I have stayed at Jack Huffs, it has been very clean. I love the location myself and there are nice balconies on most of the rooms. Only downfall, is they don't offer coffee akes in the rooms...I have always found that odd (they do though have coffee in the lobby all day long)

Edited: 10 April 2014, 01:39
Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning Second Visit

Oops...coffee Makers

Edited: 10 April 2014, 01:39