We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from PA. (eastern) to Gatlinburg & some other ?'s

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best route from PA. (eastern) to Gatlinburg & some other ?'s

Hi, I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks and have gotten a lot of good info. for our upcoming trip to Gatlinburg/P.Forge. (Thanks).

Other than the standard map directions does anyone know any alternate routes or tips that I would need to know ?

What kind of crowds/traffic should I expect between 8/16-8/20 (Gatlinburg) & 8/20-8/24 (Pigeon Forge) ?

Were staying at Midtown Lodge & Timber Tops, from what I have read on posts we should be able to walk to a lot of things while at Midtown and I assume that while at Timber Tops everything will include driving.

Also, for the locals are there any good guitar shops where you can buy guitars/equipment ? (not where tourist go, where you would go. dont mind a little drive out of town if it's worth it)

Has anyone been to Big Mama's Karaoke Cafe in Seymour ? (is it worth the drive if you like Karaoke) I understand there was one in Pigeon Forge but it closed.

I would be greatful for any info. on these questions or any suggestions or opinions that anyone may have. I am sure that I have other questions but when I started this post my mind went blank.... Thanks in advance

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,079 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from PA. (eastern) to Gatlinburg & some other ?'s

You'll be coming into the area on a weekday (8/16), which will help with the traffic tremendously. Since you're heading to Gatlinburg first, you might want to take the route from I-81 to I-40 East, then take exit #435 onto Hwy 321 and follow it all the way into Gatlinburg. It will be a shorter drive, if not quicker.

Yes, you should be able to walk to nearly everything in Gatlinburg from Midtown Lodge, so don't worry about traffic there.

If you won't be moving to P.F. until 8/20, that is a Sunday and traffic shouldn't be too too bad. Most of the summer crowd will be gone from the region by then, because many of the schools will be back in session already. Rates will be cheaper by then too. Yes, staying in P.F. will require you to either drive or ride the trolley everywhere you go. It is definitely NOT a walking town like Gatlinburg is.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from PA. (eastern) to Gatlinburg & some other ?'s

Thanks for the info. kats-cubs-fan.

If there are any locals that could help me out with a music shop that sells guitars that would be great. Thanks.

Has anyone been to Big Mama's Karaoke Cafe in Seymour ? (is it worth the drive if you like Karaoke)

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from PA. (eastern) to Gatlinburg & some other ?'s

I would not recommend coming to Gatlinburg the weekend of 8/24-there is a Nascar Race in Bristol, TN and believe it or not-people will stay in Gatlinburg/pigeon forge and drive. If you hate traffic, dont like waiting long periods of time-DONT GO THAT WEEKEND! If you do go anyway, I would recommend staying right around downtown, otherwise you may not get anywhere other than a traffic light!

Anyway-enjoy your stay and hope you have a good time.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from PA. (eastern) to Gatlinburg & some other ?'s

Thanks for the info. we will be in Gatlinburg 8/16-8/20, and then move to P.Forge from 8/20-8/24(leaving for home)... So I am hoping to be safe from the "race" traffic. I have not even looked at the map yet as to how that will affect our departure from TN. to home (PA).

I don't really know why I am worried about it anyway, traffic is not going to prevent me from going on vacation. I will just have to "go with the flow".....

Thank you again.