We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Trip to Pigeon Forge

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Trip to Pigeon Forge

My family and I are spending Christmas in the mountains this year. My twin sons will be 19 months old. Are there any places that we can drive to see beautiful views in the mountains? Is the Christmas lights trolley tour worth it? And is there anything else that is a must see?

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Trip to Pigeon Forge

There are so many places to see great views, it's hard to know where to start. Take 441 through the Park. There are many places to pull off along the road with great views. Newfound Gap, the TN/NC border has a parking lot where you can get out and look around. The mountains have a different look in the winter. Because of the lack of leaves, a lot of detail is visible. Cades Cove is another place where you can see a lot of animals and great views.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Trip to Pigeon Forge

That sounds awesome! thank you!

Wilder, KY
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Trip to Pigeon Forge

441 and the pull-offs are your best bet. Be sure to check for road closures on the national park's website. Snow in the upper elevations can shutdown 441. The air tends to be clearer, so visibility is great, so you'll get great views.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Trip to Pigeon Forge

We have done the Christmas lights trolly in Gburg. It wasn't terrible but we won't be doing it again. Really it's just a trolly ride around town, nothing we don't drive and see anyway. It leaves from the aquarium goes to the end of river rd. then down the pkwy and out hwy 321. back to the aquarium. There was a little narration about the city.

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Trip to Pigeon Forge

Christmas in the Smokies - fewer people, fewer cars, fewer waits, totally different atmosphere - I love it.

After the leaves fall you can actually see the mountains - not the inside of a forest or a green canopy like in the summer.

Anywhere along 441 is good, but remember this is winter and driving up top can get a little dicey, even the bypass. Also, many venues open in the summer are now closed - Clingman's Dome, Blue Ridge Parkway, et.al., possibly even Cades Cove. Check with the Park HQ about what's open and what's not -not the VCs.

At 19 months, I think a trip through the Aquarium with the kids would be a hoot!! Big eyes, open mouths - doesn't get any better.

Finally, don't miss the After-Christmas sales in the malls - they're legendary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Trip to Pigeon Forge

There is a store in the Arts and Crafts community that has Christmas lights that dance to the music. We love going to sit in their parking lot with our windows down watching the lights synchronized to the music.

I am not sure if they still do it or not but there is an absolutely beautiful drive-thru Christmas music and lights display at the Smokies baseball stadium.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,783 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Trip to Pigeon Forge

You might post this in the Pigeon Forge forum also for more suggestions.

Have a great trip and please come back to post a trip report.

paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Trip to Pigeon Forge

Dollywood is a MUST see at Christmas, They have GREAT shows and millions of lights, they also have a Christmas parade every night that kids love, we go every year.

9. Re: Christmas Trip to Pigeon Forge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 06:16