We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What not to miss?????

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What not to miss?????

Hi

We are visiting Gatlinburg next month for the first ( and most likely the only time) from the UK.

Which sites /attractions should we head for in a 3 night stay with 2 boys aged 10 and 7. We would like some fun stuff plus a look at the national park itself.

There is sooo much choice , its all a bit overwhelming!!

Hope you can help.

Wilder, KY
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What not to miss?????

If I knew it was the last time I could go and only had 3 days, I would probably spend as much time as possible in the National Park. I would spend one day hiking to Mt. LeConte. I'd go to Cades Cove and do either Abrams Falls or Rocky Top trails.

For things outside the park, I'd walk the strip in Gatlinburg once. I'd check out some of the shops in the Arts & Crafts loop. I'd grill a steak or some seafood at the Cabin and enjoy dinner from the view of the mountains on the deck. For a nice meal out, I'd eat dinner at the Peddler and get a seat on the river or eat at Buckhorn Inn if their menu looked good for that night. I also might do the Applewood Farmhouse (Apple Barn) or the Old Mill and then if there was a ballgame on, I'd grab a beer at Smokey Mountain Brewery. I might catch a show at Dixie Stampede. But, I'd trade pretty much all of these for another hike in the Park if I knew I could never do it again...

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What not to miss?????

I agree with Shorner79, and spend much of my time in the national park. It is quite an experience.

You may also want to travel into the town of Cherokee. Operated and governed by the "Eastern band of the Cherokee nation"....a smaller version of Gat/burg or Pig/Forge.

The city of Pig/Forge probably has more attractions to interest your two kids. ( It's more of an "amusement park" or "arcade" type atmosphere. It has GO-KART, or BUMPER CAR tracks and a big FERRIS WHEEL. Here's hoping your whole family enjoys your trip and vacation. P.S. Be sure to bring plenty of film to document your family's vacation.

Ray

Concord, NC
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What not to miss?????

Two boys, age 10 and 7....well.... OBER GATLINBURG is a MUST MUST MUST. Just google it and you'll see. Also google GATLINBURG COUPONS for dining and entertainment coupons. But as far as the kids are concerned.... OBER GATLINBURG, located on top of the mountain. Just take the right turn at the end of Gatlinburg BEFORE you enter the National Park. A day there, and they will sleeeeeeeeeeeeep very well that night. Have fun. :-)

Level Contributor
1,234 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What not to miss?????

Couldn't disagree more about Ober Gatlinburg. The ride up and down on the aerial tram is nice but there is not much going on up there otherwise. There are some nice views from the chairlift but you can find much better in the National Park, and for no charge. Ober seems really outdated and everything is over-priced.

Level Contributor
365 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What not to miss?????

While we live the National Park my kids of similar ages like the "fun stuff" too. We are fans of the Nascar Speedpark and the Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster in Pigeon Forge. There is also an area called The Island in Pigeon Forge that us just being developed. Wonder works is also a fun place for the kiddies. We usually skip the aquarium as we can see fishies at home but many people enjoy it and speak highly of it.

Opelika, Alabama
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What not to miss?????

I agree with the other posters---forget all of the 'tourist' traps and enjoy the National Park! Stop by a deli, get an inexpensive picnic lunch and drive into the mountains and enjoy all of their glory! Ride to Clingmans Dome, or to Cades Cove. Let the boys get out and play in the stream that runs by the road. Hike to Laurel Falls (an easy hike, and the trail is somewhat paved). Each to his own---I have been going to the area since I was 7 (and I am now mid 50's) and I NEVER get tired of just going to the top of the mountain and enjoying the view. I hope you and your family have a great time!

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What not to miss?????

Thank you so much for all your replies...you've given me plenty to research! We are going to have a great time x

Alabama
Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What not to miss?????

I agree with BryanBe. I would not waste my time with Ober Gatlinburg. There is so much more to do in the area.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
90 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What not to miss?????

I agree with the others, I like to spend most of my time in the park itself and away from the tourist trap type things in Pigeon Forge in Gatlinburg. We love to drive through Cades Cove and hike some of the trails there. There are several that go to cabins that are away from the road. It is like going back in time to me. We also like the drive through Roaring Fork which is just outside of Gatlinburg and you should try to drive over the mountains and go to Clingman's Dome and stop at Newfound Gap. The views from both places are wonderful. You can then spend some of your nights in Pigeon Forge and walking the strip in Gatlinburg. Dixie Stampede is a Dinner Show in Pigeon Forge that I have been to several times and I really enjoy it. It would be a good experience for your kids - a meal with no silverware! :) http://www.dixiestampede.com/

Edited: 22 July 2014, 19:24
Tennessee
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What not to miss?????

We were very disappointed in Ober, Gatlinburg. Definitely spend as much time in the park as possible! Cades Cove, The Nature Trail are both amazing. If they have a craft show going at the convention center, you will be amazed at all the lovely things people have for sale. I know it was sometime in July, but not sure of the dates. Another must would be visit, "The Village" there in Gatlinburg. There is a lovely fountain and seating around it where you can get a (to die for) treat at, "The Donut Friar and/or a cup of coffee from, "Coffee and Company" there in "The Village." Driving over to Pigeon Forge to, "The Apple Barn" is another must do. They have nice shops and their apple pies, frozen apple cider are both amazing! Ya have to go by the moonshine area there on the Gatlinburg strip and get a few moonshine samples just for fun. lol We ALWAYS go to the zoo there close to Pigeon Forge. The link for it is, www.deerfarmzoo.com It is a small zoo, but we manage to easily spend two hours there just seeing and HAND FEEDING the animals! My favorite is feeding the camels. Our kiddos loved feeding the goats and it was a blast watching all the goats rushing for treats. They also loved hand feeding the dear, zonkey, reindeer, zebra, gosh, I can't even remember it all. =) Enjoy your trip!!! The Smoky Mtns are magical!!!