We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Smoky Mountain Railway

Zanesville, Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Great Smoky Mountain Railway

what was your experience with the railway? is it worth the money? we are going down mid October and are looking into the open air ride. should we book now or can you book buy tickets there?

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Smoky Mountain Railway

My only experience with the GSMR is a Christmas "Polar Express" excursion when the kids were younger, and we enjoyed it very much. My parents have done the open air summertime excursion and they had a good time, too.

As with all things in October, I'd book as soon as possible.

Mentioned in this post
Polar Express
Polar Express
38 Reviews
Bryson City, NC
Zanesville, Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Smoky Mountain Railway

thanks! it looks great. really hoping to book this soon! hoping that the open air ride isnt too cold....

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
497 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Smoky Mountain Railway

We rode this train several years ago. It's well worth the money, scenery is nice, also there is wreckage of the train used in the movie The Fugitive.

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Smoky Mountain Railway

We took this ride years ago and it was great. We bought tickets for the "climate controlled" car, but we were about to walk over to the open air car. When going through the tunnels, I would not have wanted to be in the open air car, as it was a steam engine powered by coal and those people got pretty dirty. It may have changed since then. Just a warning about the suet. Maybe someone else has more up-to-date info. It was fun back then.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
91 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Smoky Mountain Railway

I took my mother the 3rd week in October last year. We had seats in the First Class Adults Only car which had lunch provided. It was a very nice experience and the scenery was really nice with the leaves changing and I thought it was well worth the money for the experience. I would buy your tickets in advance as I know that the day that we went it was sold out completely in advance. They turned away a lot of people that day that were trying to buy tickets. There was a cold front that came through when we were there and it was really cold with snow in the higher elevations of the mountains. I felt sorry for those in the open air cars because they were freezing. I don't think they have the steam engine any longer. All of the ones we saw were more modern diesel engines.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 19:09
Windsor
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Smoky Mountain Railway

How long is the ride?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
91 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Smoky Mountain Railway

If I remember correctly it was about 3.5 hours or maybe a little longer. They only have 2 per day of the normal rides. The Christmas Polar Express rides are shorter and they have more of them per day.

Mentioned in this post
Polar Express
Polar Express
38 Reviews
Bryson City, NC
Bardstown
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Smoky Mountain Railway

Where is this Railway located?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
4,950 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Smoky Mountain Railway

trublu112 it's located in the beautiful town of Bryson City,NC

This is the website for the railroad.

http://www.gsmr.com/

WELL WORTH THE DRIVE AND MONEY!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Bryson City
Bryson City
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Bardstown
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Great Smoky Mountain Railway

Thank you! I had looked it up but wasn't sure if that was the right one. I'll need to figure out how long the drive is over there from Pigeon Forge area:) Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN