We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few quick questions about overnight stay this weekend...

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
850 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
A few quick questions about overnight stay this weekend...

I have been posting in the PF forum for an upcoming October trip w/ our daughter and have recieved some excellent feedback. My huband and I have the opportunity to come alone this weekend, staying Saturday night. Our goal for this trip is to just check out the area, walk around Gatlinburg, eat/drink, etc... I just had some questions.

We have the choice of staying in the Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn - is one better than the other for any reason? Hard to tell from the reviews.

Is there a welcome center in the park? Would love to get some information so we can better plan for October.

What are some cool evening places to hang out? For dinner and drinks?

Thanks for any information!!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few quick questions about overnight stay this weekend...

Hi, The Hilton Garden is probably the newest hotel in Gatlinburg and I would pick it over the Hampton Inn. Don't get me wrong,both are nice hotels.

Yes there is a vistors center just as you enter the Park. It's called Sugarland's

nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/visitorcenters.htm

It is a nice welcome center and tons of info. Be sure to catch the short film on the history of the park.

There ia also a short waterfall hike behind the center.

Cherokee Grill, The Peddler, Smoky Mountain Brewery, Best Italian are good restaurants to eat at.

We also LOVE Crocketts Breakfast Camp.

Strolling up and down the Parkway is fun and you can stop at one of the Moonshine places for some free samples.

If youo get a chance then check out Cades Cove and the mountains.

Have fun on your trip.

Franklin, Ohio
Level Contributor
170 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few quick questions about overnight stay this weekend...

We like Smokey Mountain Brewery for dinner and either Mel's Diner or Old Mill for breakfast. For a night out, we usually go to Hogs & Honeys because they have an area that is over the "strip" for people watching. Crawdaddys usually has karaoke. We also like Blaine's and No Way Joses.

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
850 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few quick questions about overnight stay this weekend...

Thank you! Looking forward to it.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few quick questions about overnight stay this weekend...

We have not stayed at HGI but I have stayed at the Hampton. It is nice and we request a room with a balcony over the river. The only river near HGI is across the street. You will have so much fun exploring the city at either place because both have a great location. We too like the Smokey mtn brewery and we also like Calhouns which is next door. If you like their beer at Smokey mtn brewery you can get it at Calhouns too.

Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A few quick questions about overnight stay this weekend...

Do yourself a favor and drive up to Newfound Gap after you visit the Sugarlands Visitor Center. It will only take an hour, round trip, and you can get a good sample of how beautiful the place is.

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
850 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few quick questions about overnight stay this weekend...

Thanks again! We booked HGI - it was really a toss up, both were the same price. I just went w/ that one since it was newer. Looking forward to exploring the park a bit - we should be there by 11am or so Saturday. Does Smokey Mountain offer other beers besides their own?

Smyrna, Tennessee
Level Contributor
497 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few quick questions about overnight stay this weekend...

My daughter and her husband really liked the casual laid back feel of the rooftop bar at Loco Burro, especially when the sun goes down. The food is good as well. One place I have never tried, but always wanted to is Cherokee Grill. Understand it is a great couples place.

Edited: 24 July 2014, 14:18
Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few quick questions about overnight stay this weekend...

I highly recommend staying at The Inn at Christmas Place.

Of course, I'm a Christmas fanatic.

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
850 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few quick questions about overnight stay this weekend...

Thanks again! We drove into the park, visited Sugarlands and walked the short trail behind it. Drove down to PF via the bypass. Hilton Garden Inn was super nice! We walked the parkway, stopping at Loco Burro's for drinks and an app, dinner was Smokey Mountain Brewery and then we did some people watching on the deck at Blaines. Everything everywhere was very good! Neat place! Can't wait to bring our daughter back and explore the park more, and visit the aquarium, etc. :-)

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few quick questions about overnight stay this weekend...

How long of a walk is the trail behind visitors center? I was thinking of trying that out but my husband isn't much into hikes. Short and easy are definitely best for us.