We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tentative Schedule

Nicholasville...
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Tentative Schedule

Okay, I think this is the tentative itinerary. If Ive made any mistakes, please feel free to point them out.

Saturday arrive about Noon.

Ober Gatlinburg, Tramway and Wildlife Encounter. Quick walk along Parkway and see Ogle Cabin. Mass at 7Pm at St Marys. Dinner somewhere cheap for a mom with 3 kids- open to suggestions- (or maybe just eat in the room). Back to Edgewater Hotel to swim in pool.

Sunday

Breakfast at Hotel then set out to Roaring Fork Motor Trail, Sugarlands V.C. and Chimney Picnic area. (will we have any shot at seeing a bear on this trail if we hit it early enough?) Question- If I hit RFMT first, are either of our other two scheduled activities along the way? Suggestions for order which we should do them? If we hit the V.C first I'm afraid we would lose all shot at seeing a bear. I remember coming to Gatlinburg with my parents and have fond memories of seeing bears. So Im kind of really hoping to do the same with my kids.

Back to Hotel, eat in the room, and hit the Parkway again. Possibly the Space Needle if I can find a coupon.

Monday

Breakfast at hotel. Possibly the Aquarium (best place to get a discount ticket or coupon?)

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? I'm mostly concerned about Saturdays schedule and if all three of those things can be scheduled without rushing.

Thank you!

Highland, Illinois
Level Contributor
189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tentative Schedule

The RFMT has its own separate entrance from Airport Rd. and exits on the East Parkway. The Sugarlands and Chimney Top pcinic area are along 441 which is the main artery through the park. I've seen bears along the RFMT at different times during the day so I'm not sure if there is one time better than another. Aquarium coupons are available at many locations or can be downloaded through many sources. You can find an abundance of coupons by doing a search entering something such as "smoky mountain coupons and discounts."

Franklin, Ohio
Level Contributor
171 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tentative Schedule

Your hotel will probably have coupon books for the area too. For dinner on Saturday you might want to try Johnny Rockets on the parkway. My son used to love going there (I can't remember if it was expensive or not). I saw a bear once at RFMT. The only other places I have seen bears are on the road going to Clingman's Dome in the late afternoon. The order in which you are planning for Sunday is good since you won't have to back track.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
199 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tentative Schedule

Reduced price at aquarium if you go after five!! It's open until ten during the week!

Nicholasville...
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tentative Schedule

Does anyone know how much the tickets are at the window as opposed to buying online? I goggled it but the only search result I was able to come up with was obviously pretty old as it said the tickets were $20.00. Maybe going in the evening is a great idea.

I think Ive given up on the eating out idea. Anyplace you go in Gatlinburg is going to be expensive. We'll do pick-nicks and the girls can grab some home-made fudge or something from the Parkway.

Level Contributor
1,388 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tentative Schedule

You can see a bear any time. I've probably seen more in the afternoon/early evening than early in the morning..

6. Re: Tentative Schedule

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 05:18