We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Handicapped accessibility questions

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Handicapped accessibility questions

I will be traveling with my father who uses an electric scooter.

I wasn't able to find any but wanted to ask just in case, are there any Caverns around the area that are handicapped accessible? The only one I found was in NC and a two hour drive away.

I contacted smokey mountains parks and recreations about accessibility to some of the driving areas. They said Clingmans Dome would be ok with a scooter to at least see the views from the parking lot and said the climb to the top of the dome may be too steep for a scooter. Has anyone had an experience with this? He has a pretty heavy duty scooter so I wasn't sure if it would be possible.

We also wanted to go to Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. I know this is a driving trail with stop offs along the way. My concern is we would have the scooter even if he doesn't get out of the car due to the fact we will be sightseeing in other locations. I know on their website they mention no trailers. My question is this, he has a trailer for the scooter. it is maybe three feet by three feet (very small). It isn't even the width of their vehicle. Would they stop us from making the drive through the trail if pulling the scooter trailer?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
4,868 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Handicapped accessibility questions

Hi, I have seen people with scooters at Clingmans Dome a few times and even at the top of the tower. They didn't seem to have any trouble making it to the top. The view from the parking lot is beautiful . As you head up by the gift shop area there is a place to sit and view the mountains. Sometimes we just sit there and talk to people.

I don't think you will have a problem with Roaring Fork. We have seen some really big,long trucks on RF and they made it fine.

Cades Cove is also another beautiful drive and the vistors center is handicapped accessible there.

There are a couple of caverns close by, but I don't know if they are handicapped access or not.

Maybe you can call them.

http://www.tuckaleecheecaverns.com/

http://www.forbiddencavern.com/

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Handicapped accessibility questions

Thank you!

I did check Tuckaleechee and Forbidden and both have stairs so they can't accommodate a scooter.

3. Re: Handicapped accessibility questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 07:16