We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any bears seen on Glades Road?

Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Any bears seen on Glades Road?

Thats where our cabin is and its secluded. Do you think theres any bears in that area, in the Arts and Crafts Community?

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
677 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any bears seen on Glades Road?

We have not seen any bears for awhile at our place. They will start coming down from the mountain later in October and November looking for food. Make sure that you cabin has a bear proof trash container, they won't bother you if there is no food.

If you are really worried keep a noise maker around. Those small air horns they use for boating would work great. One toot and the bear wil hightail it!!

The National Park and the City of Gatlinburg have warned residents that they expect higher than average bear populations in town because the nut and berry supply has been poor this summer in the Park.

Monticello, Indiana
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any bears seen on Glades Road?

Didn't travel Glades Rd, however we did see 4 bears on our trip last week. We saw all of them on Loop Rd through Cades Cove around 4 in the afternoon. We were very close to a mother w/2 cubs and she didn't seem in the least bothered by us. We watched her long enough to shoot 15 mins of video uninterupted. My 16 month old now says "Big Bear"...hehe.. They were definitely beautiful!

Monticello, Indiana
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Any bears seen on Glades Road?

Dear MorgansMommy -

The mother and cubs we saw were on Rich Mountain Road off of Cades Cove Loop Road! Hate to correct you... but you know mother knows best! LOL

MorgansMommy's Mommy

Monticello, Indiana
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any bears seen on Glades Road?

Thanks mel....you are such a butt...I couldn't remember the name of that stupid road. Besides, it was right off of Cades!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any bears seen on Glades Road?

Too cute you two. First time I have known of a mama and daughter bout on here. I love it. Listen to Mel , Morgan's Mommy, like a good daughter should. Spoken from a mother of 4 daughters. LOL

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any bears seen on Glades Road?

I live in the Glades on Buckhorn in a cabin and we have seen 2 small bears in the trees behind our house. I have also seen several fox in the front yard early in the mornings when I go to work.

Several times we have heard these loud noises on the roof like something walking and scratching. My neighbor said it could be the

small bears getting on the roof since some of the trees overhang

over the roof. I have went out several times but our cabin is two story

and you can't see on the roof so I don't know what it could be. If anyone has any suggestions what it might be I'd sure appreciate it.

Livonia La.
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any bears seen on Glades Road?

Yeah, remove the limbs LOL.

8. Re: Any bears seen on Glades Road?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 14:18