We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Review -LONG 9/23-9/30

Monticello, Indiana
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Review -LONG 9/23-9/30

Stayed in an excellent cabin. "Laurel Glen" through Timbercreek. It was in a small valley, completely secluded on 5 acres. It had a small stream, that wasn't so small after 2 rainy days. My daughter (16 mos.) LOVED throwing rocks in. Cabin was clean and beautiful. We used the outdoor firepit several times.

We did Cades Cove, of course, and saw 4 bears. 1 male by himself running through an open field and a Mother with 2 cubs in the woods. The buildings and views in Cades were great! A definite must do! We also did Roaring Fork, some great scenery! We then did the Sugardlands visitor center and the hike to Cataract Falls (1 mi. rd trip) (was easily done w/stroller and my older grandparents). Also hiked to the Walker sisters cabin from Metcalf Bottoms. It was worth the walk, it was the most well taken care of cabin we had seen in the park. The spring house is still there, the old well, as well as a barn. (1.1 mi one way)

We took our daughter to the smoky mtn. deer farm and exotic petting zoo, a little cheesy, but she absolutely loved it. She got to feed and pet the deer, goats, donkey's, etc. We also took her to Ripley's Aquarium, which she also loved. The have these really neat tanks in the discovery center that you can climb in the middle of, made a really funny picture. Also, took her to a shop in PF that had 5 live bears to feed, which she also liked. (She has a thing for feeding animals, especially our dog!)

Spent one day shopping in PF, bought too much as usual....a little tougher packing to come home! Found an adorable oak rocking chair for the litle one. Boyd's lovers need to get to Boyd's Bear Country before the end of Oct. This is when one of the clerks told us they would be closing. Got some good deals though! The black bear line and several other "smokies" exclusives were 25-75% off.

Ate at Applewood Farmhouse, everything was great, except the catfish. Would recommend another choice. It was a little greasy.

Also did Old Mill, the food was excellent! Such huge portions we could have ate it 3 times. We did Pancake Pantry, peach crepes were great! The Red Rooster was also good. It is a new breakfast place in PF.

It was a great trip, we will be going back in May!!!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
577 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Review -LONG 9/23-9/30

Glad you had such a good time. We have been looking at Timbercreek a little bit as an option for a trip next August. I'll have to check out that cabin. Was it in the Wears Valley area?? We bought our dd a rocking chair when we were there a couple months ago, too. We had some trouble fitting it in the truck with everything else! Thanks for posting!!

Monticello, Indiana
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Review -LONG 9/23-9/30

rileysmom - Yes, the cabin was in Wears Valley. It is right at the bottom of Lyons Springs Rd. I would highly recommend it! You may want to look into booking now if you are considering it, as we were informed that they are increasing their rates the beginning of the year. They also did stay 6 nights get one free! It was 3br/3bath, the middle w/jacuzzi. They provided much more than the cabins we have stayed in the past. No need to bring any kitchen utensils, dishes, or cookware. They had it all down to marshmallow forks! We've already planned to stay there again. I would have to say we found "the one".

Ohio
Level Contributor
577 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Review -LONG 9/23-9/30

I looked at it & it looks great. However, it's bigger than we would need. Probably only need a one bedroom, maybe 2. Our dd usually sleeps with us on vacation....new place is a little scary! If we decide to go with one of their cabins, I'll keep in mind about the price raise. If we can pin down some dates, then we could probably book this year. Thanks for the info!

Monticello, Indiana
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Review -LONG 9/23-9/30

You're welcome! Good luck finding a cabin! I also know how it is for dd to sleep with!!!!!

Jennings, Louisiana
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Review -LONG 9/23-9/30

MorgansMommy, we are interested in taking our little one to the Deer Farm also, how long did it take to see and do everything. Did your daughter ride a pony?

P.S. Thanks for the great trip report.

Monticello, Indiana
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Review -LONG 9/23-9/30

It took a couple of hours at the deer farm, could have been much shorter, but she really enjoyed feeding the deer. No, she didn't do the pony rides. We have 17 horses ourselves, so I can't see spending money to do something she can do at home, though it would be enjoyable for a little one that doesn't have access to ride.

7. Re: Trip Review -LONG 9/23-9/30

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 19:18