We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days and counting...

Alabama
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
10 days and counting...

My family's first trip to Gatlinburg area is coming up in 10 days....yayyyyy~.......... We are so excited. We bought a camper trailer and will be staying in Jellystone park. We want to go to both Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.

If I asked what is the ONE thing that you would recommend us to see/visit while we are there what would you all say? We will be there from Sat 10/14-10/21.

Thanks and I look forward to reading everyone's reply!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,924 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days and counting...

It's obvious, but go to the national park and explore as much of it as you can. Here are some destinations you can choose from:

Cades Cove, Roaring Fork Motor Trail, Newfound Gap, Clingmans Dome, Sugarlands Visitor Center, Oconoluftee/Mountain Farm Museum, Mingus Mill, Lufty Church, Deep Creek waterfalls, Laurel Falls, Cataract Falls, The Sinks, Meigs Falls, Grotto Falls, Alum Cave Bluffs, Cataloochee to see the elk in rut, Elkmont area, Greenbrier School, Greenbrier area, Foothills Parkway, and Cosby.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days and counting...

Not sure of your childrens ages, but I would recommend seeing the National Park (hopefully the leaves will be close to peak then), take a few hikes (Rainbow falls, Groto Falls, Clingmans Dome,etc) the Aquarium, if you have young kids, they will find plenty to do in Pigeon Forge.

Restaurant recommendatons:

*Pancake Pantry, middle of town.... do not miss it.

*Log Cabin Pancake House on Airport Rd.... good but a distance 2nd place to the Pancake Pantry in my opinion.

*Lunch at Hofenbraus Restaurant in The Village shopping center(next to the Pancake Pantry) for the best Reuben sandwich you will ever eat.

*Lunch at the Pancake Pantry is also good.

*Lunch at Desserts and More in The Village, soup and Sandwiches, try the Almond Joy Pie.

*Lunch at the Mountain Edge Grill in Baskins Square, (across from the Pancake Pantry) try their White Chicken Chili, good hamburgers too.

*Lunch/Dinner at Fuddruckers, Pigeon Forge, Governors Crossing. Great hamburgers.

*Dinner at Calhouns on the Parkway, excellent grilled shrimp

*Dinner at Cherokee Grill next to Calhouns

*Dinner at The Best Itialian Restaurant (thats the name) Located in Elks Plaza on the west end of the GB Parkway…Excellent. Try the Garlic Rolls.

*Dinner/Lunch at The Brass Lantern on the Parkway ,tureen of Vegetable soup and cornbread is excellent and enough for 2. Cheap dinner. Also try their fresh baked chocolate chip cookie with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge, served warm in a skillet.

We are coming in on the 10/20.

Have Fun !

Alabama
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days and counting...

Wow what great folks you are to take time to give me these hints......we have one child going with us he is 13.

Have any of you been to the Dinosaur museum?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
459 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days and counting...

Hey Lovin, we took our son and daughter to that musem a few years ago and it wasn't worth what it cost to get in, I don't remember the exact cost I want to say $30 for the four of us, but it's not very big and my son didn't like it at all (my daughter got scared and hubby had to take her outside). hope this helps.

Alabama
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days and counting...

yep that will really help!!! Thanks for the info!

Dunkirk, Indiana
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days and counting...

Hi LovinFall, take the drive to Cherokee Orcahard RD Motor Nature Trail. Go to stop light #8 and turn, drive about a mile to the entrance of the motor nature trail to the right. The road goes about 6 miles. We went there about 1:00 in the afternoon and saw a small bear in the woods and some deer. It was great. Take the 13 year old to the Aquarim at stop light # 5. My wife and I was there two weeks ago and had a great time.

pekin IL
Level Contributor
499 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days and counting...

Grab lunch one day at the Old Mill in PF. Great home cookin' at reasonable prices, I recommend the country fried steak. Check out the shops around the Mill, some neat little places. Local artist Randall Ogle has a studio across the street in a little strip plaza, he's very talented, and the prices on prints are low. Like the others said, spend as much time as you can in the GSMNP, and most of all, ENJOY!!!!!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
459 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days and counting...

Lovin, if your son likes Gocarts, in Pigeon Forge there is the Nascar track that he can ride and also there is one that is a wooden track in Pigeon Forge that me and my hubby rode on (our first trip alone together) that was really great. The Nascar track is great and you can get an all day wristband if he likes it alot (my son does). Have fun and enjoy

Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 days and counting...

My 13 and 16 year old girls loved the Aquarium in Gatlinburg. It is about $20 a piece though, but it's really something neat to see. The motor trails are great with places to park and explore old cabins, churches, cemetaries. We went to the Country Tonite Show in Pigeon Forge, that was great if you like country music. Of course Dollywood would be nice this time of year. We went July 4 when it was 95! We were too miserable to enjoy it, left by 3:00, so didn't get our moneys worth. Dixie Stampede was a great show, can't say great about the food, except the chicken was very delicious. Very crowded seating arrangement. Have a great time on your vacation!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
459 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 days and counting...

Check out the Comdey barn as well, my kids and us loved it, it's good clean family fun....I'll be so glad when we can get back up there.