We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place/Site

Ohio
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Place/Site

To Order a Map of Gatlinburg and the smokies.

Thanks

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place/Site

Hi sunlover - Some on the forum have called the Gatlinburg Chamber at 1-800-568-4748 for a map of Sevier County. the chamber has mailed them out free in the past.

If they can not help you, I ordered some maps last spring from the Map Store in Knoxville. They do not have a website, but here is their info:

The Map Store

900 Dutch Valley Road

Knoxville, TN 37918

1-888-929-MAPS

865-688-3608

I bought three maps, 1) Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville and Sevier County Tn. street map.

2)Newport & Cocke County, Tn street map

3)Maryville/Alcoa Tn and Vicinity street map

The 3 cost me just under $20 including shipping. I liked the idea of haveing them ahead of time.

Others have stopped by the Gatlinburg welcome center that is on the parkway before you get to Gatlinburg. They have a very detailed Sevier County map.

Have fun!

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place/Site

Ohio: The Map Store is a good source for your map needs. I recently purchased the street atlas for Sevier County. It is better and more recently printed than the fold our maps, and certainly easier to handle in a moving vehicle.

I would try the Chamber first, as they may send out a map free of charge.

Again, the atlas type map from the Map Store is easier to handle than the fold out and much later information.

One difference is the price. The Atlas is $12.50 plus shipping which could run an additional 4.50 for ups, or less for reg. mail.

The fold out maps are dated 2004, and as such do not have the latest info.

So, be aware of the difference in the cost of the maps and the cost of shipping.

Good luck.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place/Site

Mrkeen - That's a good suggestion about buying the book instead of the fold out map. I have an older one of those too but I just have always had trouble finding what I wanted quick enough in the book. My maps have 3 different publishing dates. The Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge Seviervill and Sevier County Street Map is like you said from 2004. The Maryville Street Map is from 2006, and the Newport Cocke County street map is from 2005. Hopefully they will update the Gatlinburg one soon. It does have the back roads on it - with the exception of the changes to Middle Creek.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place/Site

Smokiesgirl: I agree that the atlas is presented in a different way than the fold out. I do however feel that if you take the approach I do, you will find it easier to handle. I have threatened to place my fold out on the wall in my computer room, but have not YET.

If I am searching the atlas, I refer to the front with all the maps shown and sheets numbered. Then I will go either to the street name, or the subdivision name and locate the map. I will then be able to use this as a location finder.

If however you are just looking to get around, yes the atlas would have a disadvantage, because it does not present the entire area as it would be needed. However if you have a basic location, it would be easier to handle in your vehicle.

So, I guess if I had an updated fold out, I would be happy, but the Map Store does not seem to have these yet, and also does not know when they will be available, at least that is what I have been told.

Maybe the Chamber in Sevierville has updated fold out maps?

5. Re: Best Place/Site

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 15:19