We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LOOK!!! Name 1 thing you love about GATLINBURG.Keep it going

Germantown...
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
LOOK!!! Name 1 thing you love about GATLINBURG.Keep it going

If youve never been before what are you looking forward to the most.

Orange Beach
Level Contributor
455 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LOOK!!! Name 1 thing you love about GATLINBURG.Keep it going

Brown Bears - the kind you eat - from the Smoky Mountain Candy Kitchen - gain ten pounds just thinking about them.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,330 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LOOK!!! Name 1 thing you love about GATLINBURG.Keep it going

Easy for me....the national park. Best thing about visiting the area is getting "lost" in the park away from all the people.

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LOOK!!! Name 1 thing you love about GATLINBURG.Keep it going

I've been several times before so the part about never visiting the area doesn't apply to me. However, my favorite part is the tranquility I feel looking out across the majestic mountains from a warm and comfortable cabin. There are several other things I look forward to, but the feeling of total tranquility can't be found any other place but the Smokey Mountains. I love the beach too, but the mountains are one of God's most lovely creations I feel blessed to be able to experience them.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LOOK!!! Name 1 thing you love about GATLINBURG.Keep it going

Driving through the areas of the mountains with the windows down listening and looking at the beautiful rushing stream equipped with the picnic basket. Drives we have enjoyed are Little River Road and riding from Cataloochee on the road that ends up at Cosby.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
467 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LOOK!!! Name 1 thing you love about GATLINBURG.Keep it going

I have to agree with the birdlady - that feeling of tranquility and peacefulness when surrounded by those gorgeous mountains is an experience like no other. God and his awesome creation just envelopes you.......

Ohio
Level Contributor
577 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: LOOK!!! Name 1 thing you love about GATLINBURG.Keep it going

OK, this might sound a little weird, but....I love the smell of the mountains. When we first get there & are driving the Spur, I just love to have the windows down & smell the air. It's the trees & the water & the mountains. I really know I'm there when I smell that!

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LOOK!!! Name 1 thing you love about GATLINBURG.Keep it going

This is politically incorrect now days for obvious reasons, but as a little boy growing up I used to enjoy going to the various places they kept bears. You could buy a Yoo-Hoo and they would give it to the bear to drink in front of you.

Any of you remember doing that?

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LOOK!!! Name 1 thing you love about GATLINBURG.Keep it going

The "slower pace" of the mountains. It seems we rush around at home and on the way there, then once we reach PF and Gatlinburg, we are at peace, ready to take it easy. We will arrive in PF on Dec 15. Our middle son gets married this Saturday and then I start my Xmas job on Wednesday, so I will be soooooooooo ready for the Smokies.

shubuta, ms
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: LOOK!!! Name 1 thing you love about GATLINBURG.Keep it going

I've been a dozen times, and i can't think of just one thing that i look forward to the most when i'm planning our next trip...it's EVERYTHING!! i love the history of the mountains, i've read everything i could find about the "old timers" that used to live in the area before it became a national park. i also love the arts and crafts community, and just talking with the owners of the shops; whether you buy anything from them or not, they are always happy to see you, and make you feel welcome. but, then again, i love the excitement of walking down the sidewalks in gatlinburg, and then sitting on one of the benches to people watch. i've met a lot of interesting people that way, and it's amazing how you can carry on a conversation with a complete stranger, because you have the love of the mountains in common. people that you would probably only (maybe) say a polite hello to,and then keep walking, become fast friends when your in the mountains. i think maybe something in the air up there brings out the best in folks? i've been to a lot of places, but nowhere else gives me that feeling of peace and contentment that the smokies does. it's almost like the rest of the world has disappeared, and only the beauty and wonder of the of God's creation exist. time stops when your there. you forget all the hassles that exist in everyday life. i don't talk about this very often, and i know that this isn't the place, but i feel like i need to tell it to explain what this beautiful place means to me. my husband and i lost our precious daughter at the age of five when we were broadsided by a truck. that was 14 years ago, and the pain never lessens, and that is something i've learned to live with, with the help of the Good Lord. but let me tell you, when I'm in the mountains, just walking the trails with my husband and kids, or sitting on one of those benches, or driving along the river, i feel as though i am as close to heaven, and my little girl, as i can get while i'm here on earth. that's the thing i love the most... just being able to forget about the world, and all the bad things in it, and focus on the good things, and the blessings i've been given, and most of all feel like I'm so close to God and the heavens, that there is nothing standing between us. sappy, huh??? sorry! anyway, that's what the mountains and gatlinburg, and all of the area mean to me.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LOOK!!! Name 1 thing you love about GATLINBURG.Keep it going

vent, that was just beautiful and very touching. So glad you shared that with us. Isn't it wonderful to have such a wonderful place to be so special. So glad you are on here with us. This is the closest we can get right now. Each trip report I read takes me there again in my mind. We have been home 2 1/2 weeks and this forum keeps me sane in the daily hustle and bustle of the Real world.