We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to bring dog or not?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
to bring dog or not?

hey all you gatlinburg experts,

Maybe i could get some advice/feedback on this. I plan to go to gatlinburg in mid march with hubby and our pekingese for a week in a chalet. Is this wise.. is my dog or me gonna be in danger of bears at this time of year. We have debated whether or not to bring him with us but we hate to leave/ board him that long. I hope i get positive feedback but if its dangerous for him, its a no brainer. The only time he will be outside is to potty or if he is with us. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

Candy

Kalispell, Montana
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: to bring dog or not?

Candy,

your dog will be just fine in Gatlinburg. Bring him along. And don't worry about the bears. I think you'll be just fine.

gatlinburglover

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to bring dog or not?

First of all, the risk of any kind of bear attack is EXTREMELY slim, but my thoughts on the subject are:

We have a Pekingese too! and love her dearly, but my vote is to leave it at home.

Not so much because of the slim chance of a bear attack, I just never understood why people must bring their pets on vacation. I think they are much more comfortable in a controled enviroment at home.

I spoke to a Park Ranger this past summer while hiking to Grotto Falls. The Ranger was sending several people and their dogs back down the trail because they ignored the posted signs not allowing dogs on the trail. The Ranger said that a high percentage of bear attacks involve the victims having their dogs with them. The most recent attack last month on an elderly woman that was walking her dog coming back to her cabin and surprised a bear on the deck. I think the bear was going thru the garbage, but who is to say that it was not attracted to the smell of the dog being around the cabin.

I really don't know why cabin/motel owners even allow dogs, I would much rather leave ours with friends or a kennel where they will get attention during the day instead of being cooped up alone, while we vacation all day. Not to mention, the people that allow their pets to mess on the carpets in the motel/cabin.

Well, thats my 2 cents

Have a great time, what ever you decide !

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
938 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: to bring dog or not?

No offense to anyone, but I don't understand why people bring animals on vacation either. When we were there the end of Oct./beginning of Nov. my husband and I would laugh when we saw all the people with their little dogs on the parkway and thought....yeah we could see us bringing our too over 100lb Rottweilers with us walking up and down the parkway haha!

I love all of my animals (I have four) like they are my babies. We don't have any children and I'd much rather have my animals over kids any day, but there's no way I'd take them on vacation with us.

We lived on Incirlik Air Base, Turkey and there's where we got our cats, so we had to travel all the way from there to San Antonio, TX with them. We got our first Rott there in TX, and then one time when we were in Bama on vacation we got our second and brought him back to TX with us. So when we moved back to Bama (where we are now) from San Antonio we had four animals traveling with us. Too much of a hassle.

Anyways, like I said, no offense...just not my thing :)

South Louisiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: to bring dog or not?

We have a Yorkie, Baby, that we always bring on vacation. This past time that we went, last month, we stayed at Fairfield Resorts, which is not pet friendly. I found a vet that boarded either just during the day or all night. The website is www.mountainhomevet.com. They charged 5.00 a day for her to stay there. We kept her at the condo at night, but left her at the vet during the day. She was fine there, and it was an extremely nice place. They have a play yard for the small dogs and one for the bigger dogs. I highly recommend this place. You may want to check it out. I could never leave her at home. It just would not be the same. By the way, my in-laws have a Pekingnese as well, and they never leave her at home either.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
581 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: to bring dog or not?

When I was there two weeks ago, we found a new shop in the Glades Community for pet lovers. They had very unusual items and a studio set up with various scenes that you could choose for your pet's photograph. I was surprised to find that they even had items with the State Dog of Louisiana!!!!! The prices were very reasonable, too.

Hope all works out for you and your baby!

Orange Beach
Level Contributor
455 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: to bring dog or not?

We have a cocker that is our "youngest daughter". She takes literally every step I take, but the one place I don't take her is to the mountains. We leave her at home. Before one of our daughters moved next to us, we would hire a pet sitting company to come by each day and care for her - take her outside - walk her and feed her. We left on stereo and TV and she had her own bed to sleep. Now that my daughter lives next to us, we still leave her at home. She's more comfortable here than being uprooted and carted to her sister's house so my daughter comes every morning, afternoon and evening..She lets her out and plays with her. I would not feel comfortable taking our baby out on a trail with us when we hike. I would be afraid that she would attract a bear or other animal and as protective as she is, she would definitely be the feisty one and it could get her killed. Next, when we are out and about riding, most places will not let you take a dog in, i.e. restaurants, malls and attractions. We could not leave her in a car, so therefore we would have to forego whatever attraction that caught our eye. Most cabins and hotels, even if pet friendly have the rule - if you are away from the cabin/room, the pet must be crated at all times. How much fun is that for her - to be confined to a crate.

She does not like being boarded at all, she won't eat the entire time we are away and she literally howls and cries, per the caretakers. That is why we searched until we found someone to come to the house. It was no more expensive than to pay for boarding for a week. They charge a set fee per day and mileage to the house. While we hired a professional pet sitter from the area, there is always the option of paying a trusted neighbor or teen from the area to take care of the duty. Now that our daughter lives by us, she takes charge. Our little one has been such a loved member of our family for 10 years now, so I would not do anything to endanger her wellbeing - I leave her home.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: to bring dog or not?

thanks guys..

no offense taken to any of the replies regarding why i take my pet. But to answer this, my hubby and i went on 4 trips this yr and each time i boarded my boy. He did beautifully all 4 times and i love the place and staff. We both enjoyed our trips .. vegas and new york much more fun than the inlaws lol. But we did miss him and just thought having him around would be so awesome. When we go to gatlinburg .. we did plan on chilling out in the chalet and staying in alot anyway. Anything we can't do with him will not be that big of a deal .. and if it is.. we can leave him in his pet taxi for a couple of hours.. but ... we will give it some thought.. still undecided. It just seemed like we could relax and chill alot at the chalet knowing our boy was with us safe and happy. hehe... Now yall have me wondering if its just for my enjoyment.. *having him there* or his .. hehe .. just a thought

thanks again guys

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: to bring dog or not?

I vote to take the pet. Each time I go and leave my "youngest child" at home I end up calling 5 or 6 times a day checking him. He misses us and we miss him. Those of you that do not understand, well I don't understand why people say not to take your pet. Everyone has their own opinion and I appreciate that. I just feel so lost when I don't take my baby with me. Whatever you decide to do I hope you enjoy your vacation.

tennessee
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: to bring dog or not?

Hello from Tennessee! Just had to respond to the people questioning why people travel with pets. Many cabin companies these days are pet-friendly. And if you ask them about the "crating rule", they will allow you to use your own judgement about it. The only problem is that a pet left in a new place can become nervous and damage things in an attempt to get out that they would never bother at home. Most people who travel with pets only bring the small dogs, not the big "yard" dogs. It is usually cheaper to bring the "baby" than leave it at home and worry about it. I recommend you go online and type in "pet friendly cabin rentals" in the search bar. Those will be the companies most likely to welcome your "other" family members. You don't want to stay anywhere that doesn't understand that bond with your "baby"!

Also, Dollywood used to have a facility called "Doggywood" which even offers boarding during the day when you visit there and they provide you with a pager in case you are needed back immediately. My sister used their facilities for her big dogs and was very pleased with their services. I think they still have it available.

Have fun!!!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: to bring dog or not?

Thanks queen and miss for your feedback :)

and wow.. i will check into the doggywood deal too ... just in case..

see yall later

Candy :)