We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We leave tomorrow, but going to the ER this morning!

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Topic
We leave tomorrow, but going to the ER this morning!

Well, of course, my DH and I are leaving for Gatlinburg tomorrow, and our oldest son (21) has come down with what the think is strep.

ON NEW YEARS!

Our 13yr old had a really bad case over christmas.

We will have to take him in to ER as we leave early tomorrow to catch a flight and he will be responsible for the other 3. and of course, no urgent cares are open today.

Ah the life of a parent huh?

Say a little prayer for Chris is you are so inclined. Now, I'm feeling a little guilty leaving him here. I'm goin to pray for a speedy recovery!

We leave tomorrow from Pittsburgh at 12noon, but have to drive 2 hours to get there. So, we will leave early.

We arrive in Asheville at 3:30 pm and will hopefully get into GB somewhere close to 5:30.

So much to do! You all know how it is!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We leave tomorrow, but going to the ER this morning!

Now Lindy, I am an optomist.....

This is a good thing. Better taken care of before you leave so you can take care of it now instead of after you were settled into Gat.

I know he will be fine. Make 'em zap him up with some major antibiotics and he will be on the road to a quick recovery and you will be on the road to Pittsburg, to Ashville, and the long anticipated Smoky Mountains.

You have a wonderful time!!!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: We leave tomorrow, but going to the ER this morning!

Hi Lindy

I have a 13 year old Chris too. Will certainly say a prayer for him. He'll be fine. I always feel guilty when we go away alone - for a while anyway - at least a few minutes :)

We did a 3 week trip out west in '02 and our dd was sick almost the whole time. Terrible ear infection 3 days after we left and she was dizzy with it for a week - then the poor thing got a bad case of food poisoning!

Much easier like B said to have it happen before you leave.

Have a wonderful trip and Happy New Year!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: We leave tomorrow, but going to the ER this morning!

Oops - just reread your original post - Chris is your 21 year old - too much partying last night for me!

Cleveland Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: We leave tomorrow, but going to the ER this morning!

Alex is the 13 yr old and Chris is the 21 yr old. He had some plans that got cancelled as he just wasn't up to it.

We are heading out now to the ER. I wish I had a better option, but at least I know he will be doing better by tomorrow.

Thanks for the great "mom" encouragement.

Cleveland Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: We leave tomorrow, but going to the ER this morning!

My son has a 103 temp and bad case of strep, but he is on some pumped up meds and with some rest, he should be ok.

2 of the other kids are finishing up meds for strep, so things should be ok!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: We leave tomorrow, but going to the ER this morning!

Glad they took good care of your son. I'm sure he will be feeling better soon. Now you can try to get some sleep tonight :) and be ready in the morning!

Have a safe, fantastic time!

smokie

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We leave tomorrow, but going to the ER this morning!

Glad Chris is now on the road to recovery. 24-48 hours things should be turning around for him. Thank goodness the other children are covered with meds. At least they on on the other side of it.

Lindy, sound like you know "Murphy's Law" about as well as I do....

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We leave tomorrow, but going to the ER this morning!

not sure about where you are or near Gatlinburg, but in middle Tennessee, the CVS pharmacy chain now has nurse practicioners onsite for just such things, to keep you from going to the ER. They can write scrips and you can get them filled there, usually cheaper (and a lot less paperwork) than going to an ER. You may want to check it out when you get to GB.

Good luck and welcome to Tennessee.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We leave tomorrow, but going to the ER this morning!

Wow, I'd never heard of a drugstore having a NP. I'll have to see if we've got them in Knoxville. I'm surprised the idea's flying at all because of staffing issues!!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We leave tomorrow, but going to the ER this morning!

Never heard of it until VolRichard mentioned it. It might be a good thing in a resort area. CVS has alot of competition popping up all over around here. This could bring them up in the standings.