We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not stay with ERA in the Smokies!!!

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Do not stay with ERA in the Smokies!!!

I am so mad right now! I posted earlier this week that i rented from ERA in the Smokies last week. Well i had left my purse and immediatly went back to get it ...although it took me over two hours....and someone had stolen $200. Yeah i know......really stupid to leave my purse but it happened. But i certainly didn't expect someone to help themselves. Well today i emailed them because i was told someone would be contacting me. No.. i knew i was not going to get my money back but i did at least expect a phone call since they told me they would call me. I recieved an email pretty much telling me sorry bout your luck but they do not believe anyone took my money and they hope i find it. I know for a fact that money was in there and someone stole it!! There is no doubt in my mind what so ever!! All i wanted was a sincere apology since i obviously would not get my money back. It felt more like a slap in the face. I will never rent from them ever again!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not stay with ERA in the Smokies!!!

Bet they didn't expect you to let all of us know how crude, rude, and unacceptable their reaction was, huh?

Guess they weren't wanting you to return when they wrote you that email and didn't think it would get back to thousands that read this forum. So.... the joke's on them.

All they had to do is appologize to you. They didn't have to call you a liar. I am so sorry they did this to you.

As I have said many times before... Live and Learn!!

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not stay with ERA in the Smokies!!!

Exactly Bsmith!! All they had to do was call me and talk to me....say they were sorry it happened...blah, blah, blah. But I wish you could see the email he sent me.....VERY unprofessional. I hope no one on this website rents from them!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not stay with ERA in the Smokies!!!

I'd love to read it! Post it or email it to me.

brsmithal@aol.com

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not stay with ERA in the Smokies!!!

I just emailed it to you. You may not find it as harsh as I did. But it's not the response I was expecting from him.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not stay with ERA in the Smokies!!!

I got your email. Yep... he is essentially calling you a liar.

Well, just mark that one off the list. Thought the owner was kinda brave to even invite you back to stay with them after calling you a liar.

Gonzales, Louisiana
Level Contributor
626 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not stay with ERA in the Smokies!!!

Well I certainly won't book a cabin with them :) I'm betting you'll give them a nice review- and the joke with certainly be on them!

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not stay with ERA in the Smokies!!!

yeah that was a good one...inviting me back....like i would even think about renting from them again. You know....I bet the owner of the cabin doesn't know anything about it. That's too bad too because i really liked the cabin. Maybe he'll get smart and rent it out through someone else.

NW Ga
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not stay with ERA in the Smokies!!!

Basically you wanted them to admit to some of their employees or agents being the ones who took your money. That's what an "I'm sorry" would mean if you later decided to take them to court seeking to recover the money. A business can't do that. Instead they tell yu upfront to keep up with your stuff....it's why hotels offer safe deposit boxes. They don't want to take chances on these types of things happening. Even if they know if was an employee that might have taken it they can't admit it to you as it exposes them to legal liability.

So your request for a "I'm sorry" must be viewed no differently than someone wanting thirmoney returned....from a liability stand point. I know that' all you wanted...but they can't assume that to be the case. And if a business becomes known as one who will accept such liability...they will then become a target for scammers. Scammers like to pass around who are the best targets to hit. How long would they stay in business if they had to pay every guest 200.00<or lots more...one woman told of how she left her engagemen/wedding ring and it was stolen>? So while likely she was totally honest about her loss...what about other less honest people who had their 2500.00 ring "stolen" by an employee? Should the business just hand out checks to everyone who walks in and claims to have been robbed?

Sorry for your loss but your simple request wasn't so simple for a business.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not stay with ERA in the Smokies!!!

Actually they are the ones that told me they were going to call me after they talked to the cleaning crew. I did not request a phone call from them. And of course i do not expect them to admit that someone stole my money. It's my word against their's and i'm sure they would side with their employees anyway. What i did not expect was the email i received from the owner of ERA practically calling me a liar. To me that is very unprofessional and certainly not a way to get me to rent from them in the future.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do not stay with ERA in the Smokies!!!

My mom actually called the owner of ERA today. I guess she wanted to put her two cents in too after she read the email he sent me. She said he didn't say much but he wasn't rude or anything. I know he couldn't really do anything about the situation but thinking i'm lying really got me. Anyway....it's a done deal. I'm getting over it and looking forward to my next trip!! Wish i was in Glendale Arizona tonight! GO GATORS!!