We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning is harder than I thought

Mississippi
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Planning is harder than I thought

I got some good info about attractions from Smokies...thanks! But I am having a hissy fit about the cabin rentals....this is hard! Not to mention, my sweet husband has invited his mom to fly down from Michigan and spend the week with us in the mountains...talk about pressure LOL! I have checked out a few cabins at Jackson Mountain Homes. They look beautiful online. The prices range from 170.00 per night up to 300.00. I decided we are going to go either the week before memorial day or week after...Probably looking to leave out on May 29th and staying until June 5th. That way, we aren't traveling on the weekends. To put it blunt, my husband and I can barely drive a straight road, much less a mountain! Really, I am exaggerating a bit, but really, we have a minivan and my husband likes to hug curves (aggravates me!). So, does anyone know anything about Jackson Mountain Rentals and their driving situations? Also, is it better to have a Mountain view or be by a mountain river? I saw one cabin that was beautiful, but it said it was in the forest..that's all. I would appreciate some help if anyone could. I pretty much have the restaurants picked and attractions picked. Except the aquarium...is it worth it and what is it called? Ok, end of questions lol for now anyways! Thanks soooo much! God Bless!!!

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning is harder than I thought

I love Jackson Mountain. They have some really nice cabins. A lot of their cabins are in Black Bear Falls and the roads are not bad. I personally love a mountain view. Definately do not rent from ERA in the Smokies. We just rented from them and had some money stolen....whether it was the housekeepers or other staff will always be a mystery.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning is harder than I thought

Can't help you with Jackson Mtn. Homes other than to agree that they sure look nice!

We have stayed in cabins with all different kinds of views, and I couldn't begin to give you my favorite. I guess if I had to choose or if it was one of my first trips to the area, I would pick one with a view. A really nice view. I usually ask if it has an open, sweeping view of Mt. LeConte. We have not stayed in this cabin, but this is the kind of view we like:

www.chaletvillage.com/cabinview.html?UID=0852

I also love staying in the forest. It is always so peaceful. In the fall I love to be surrounded by the trees. We have not stayed along a river yet. I do have several places written in my notes though and we want to try one soon. We like the idea of being able to tube right where we are staying and I love the sound of the rivers.

Hope I didn't confuse you more!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,114 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning is harder than I thought

The aquarium is called Ripley's Aquarium of Gatlinburg.

It is rather expensive, but if you enjoy those kind of attractions, its a good one, especially for a rainy day.

nlg
McMinnville...
Level Contributor
429 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning is harder than I thought

My family and I were in Gatlinburg in November and went to

the aquarium and thought it was the best aquarium we have

ever been to. It will take a couple of hours to go thru the whole

thing(you can take longer). The shark encounter is amazing.

It is expensive, but worth it.

Middle Tennessee
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning is harder than I thought

WLJC,

Try not to get too worked up. I say find a cabin that looks nice online... talk to the rental company until you are comfortable dealing with them... and just do it. These people deal on their reputations, and they know they have to deliver a great experience for you, if they want to build and maintain that reputation. Take time to consider if you'd like to be close to town, or in a more secluded place away from the main drag. Closer to town might suit your driving concerns better.

Once you get to Gatlinburg, just come ready to have a good time. There is alot to do, and you can choose what you and your family want to make the trip your own special time together. We like to just go down and make loose plans the first night we're there for the rest of the trip. Does Mom want to do the scrapbook store? Does anybody want to work in a hike in the park? How much do we want to walk the strip? Are there any particular places we'd like to eat this trip?

We like to make use of the trolleys to get around. It's alot less stressful than trying to drive around in our own cars, and it's easy to get to the strip from just about anywhere in town that way. Just carry some change in your pocket and be aware of what time trolleys stop running on the routes you need.

west chester oh
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning is harder than I thought

I agree with smokie a view of Mt LeConte is beautiful!! I was there in June (1st of my three trips in 2006) with 8 of my girlfriends which is a totally different experience than with DH. Don't get me wrong I had a wonderful time with my DH, but had a BLAST with the girlfriends. Anyway we rented from Chalet Village a four bedroom chalet which is a bit different than a cabin as it looks like a regular home to me. My friend took care of all the details and it was a nice place but I prefer a cabin. There was a very cute cabin we passed each day going down the mountain by Jackson Mountain Rentals called Wandering Cubs. It has an awsome view of Mt LeConte. I tried to book it for my recent Dec trip but it was booked already. DH and I decided on Mountain Rentals of Gatlinburg which was a good choice as we really enjoyed our cabin. Jackson Mountain and Mountain Rentals seem to get good reviews and are nice to work with.

Good Luck!!

Gonzales, Louisiana
Level Contributor
624 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning is harder than I thought

I know the hotels (and probably cabins too) are cheaper in May. Come June 1st and Memorial day weekend the rates are raised. So you'd probably save money by booking your place the week before Memorial Weekend, plus they'll probably be much less travel, since alot of schools aren't out yet.

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
679 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning is harder than I thought

Alot of our guests have visited the Aquarium and everyone says that it is the best aquarium that they have ever visited. Kids all love it because of the interactive exibits. It is rather expensive, but if someone in your family is in the military Ripley's offers great military discounts.

We have been thier and especially like the tube where you walk through the large tank and have the fish swimming over your head!

The name is actually Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies. Here is their link:

www.ripleysaquariumofthesmokies.com

9. Re: Planning is harder than I thought

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 14:18