We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meru n.p or samburu

Poland
11 posts
Save Topic
Meru n.p or samburu

We are three families and we are planning another long safari to Kenya and we want to visit either the Meru or Samburu but we have not chosen yet, our safari organizer is suggesting we can do both. our aim is to see many animals different from tsavo, amboseli

21 replies to this topic
nyc
Level Contributor
14,845 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Meru n.p or samburu

>>I have asked for a price to stay at Elsa's Kopje through an agent and they have questioned how safe it is there?<<

I'd ask the agent if/when they was last (if ever in the past 10/yrs) been to Meru or stayed at Elsa's.

As FL410 indicates, Elsa's wins awards hands over others. It's a winner as is Meru and not at all crowded.

Wales
Level Contributor
59 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Meru n.p or samburu

Thank you for the updates. I don't think the operator was questioning Elsa's Kopje as an establishment but he was questioning Meru itself. I thought all would be fine but was surprised at his comment so wanted to check. Many thanks again

Boston...
Level Contributor
824 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Meru n.p or samburu

if you stay at Elsa's , they pick you up from the airstrip, so you won't be alone... at Elsa's, security is everywhere... we had no reason to leave the property without a guide

Mombasa
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Meru n.p or samburu

Hi Laureen,

hoping the Complete Wilderness, as Meru NP has been branded, is included in your itinerary!!!

Please see more on this exclusive park here & welcome soon:

https://www.facebook.com/TMEtRU

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
447 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Meru n.p or samburu

Samburu is also very scenic. Finding animals on safari is always a gamble, they do not appear to order ! At certain camps in Samburu elephant will pass within around 30' from your terrace. Meru is on my list for next year along with Samburu and the Mara and it comes highly recommended especially for birds and scenic beauty. I also hope to go to Elsa's Kopje. You do realise that you will not see anything of the Migration in either of these areas.

Where ever you choose have a wonderful safari

16. Re: Meru n.p or samburu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 August 2012, 17:05

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Meru n.p or samburu

I had mentioned earlier that you do both. Quite different parks and they can be combined.

A few itinerary samples from the Operator I used recently.

http://plansafari.com/kenya_ex_nbo.html

you can have an idea of the routing...

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Meru n.p or samburu

Just went to Meru and loved it - the scenery is breathtaking and we saw tons of animals - a huge variety of wildlife there. Even saw three Rhino's. Its so peaceful. Despite its beauty and the abundance of wildlife we really felt we had the whole place to ourselves. Every time we went out we saw herds of elephants, giraffe zebra, antelope, - we saw lions, wallowing hippos, crocs, baboons but also enjoyed seeing an amazing range of smaller animals and masses of amazing birds. Also got to see some very rare ones - the rhino and gravy zebra. We certainly felt it is massively underrated as a place for wildlife watching.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Meru n.p or samburu

It very possible to do safari on both , but i assure you if you want to see many animals masaimara is the best place.

Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Meru n.p or samburu

Elsas kopje is very much safe ...we have been there several times...the family cottage is just fantastic with own pool ...the view is just stunning...less congested park ..plenty of game....to me thumbs up

Reply to: Meru n.p or samburu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Meru National Park
Recent Conversations
More Meru National Park Topics