We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilifi

berkshire
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kilifi

Hi all

I am hoping to go to Kilifi in January and thought i would find out if anyone had any info on the place that could be off use... the main things are:

# Is there any where else in the town to go out for a meal or are you restricted to your hotel?

#If there are places to go... what is the average price - a meal/beer/water?

#Is there place safe to walk about during the day/night?

# What is the best currency to take?

#Is there any must do/sees in the area... as don't want to miss anything?

Sorry that is quite a few questions....

Thank you all for any advise....

Tilly

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kilifi

Kilifi is a small, local place, with little in the way of restaurants or bars. There's no restriction, and no hassle, but nothing special, though I've always quite enjoyed the town - it's got a nice, easy-going buzz. There are one or two local places, like the Arcade Café and Celebration Café – and the Baroness Restaurant is probably about the best in town (two people could eat here easily for £12). But nothing you'd really go out of your way for. You're more likely to end up going to one of the other main hotels, and there are only three with fly-in overseas guests, and you'll probably be in one of them.

Kilif's safe by day, and pretty safe at night. The only sight as such is the ruins of the little town of Mnarani, on the south side of the creek, near the old ferry landing.

Hope this helps a bit.

Richard

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kilifi

Hi France99

Kilifi is a great town, though a bit sleepy. There is not much to do there.

1. Meals, I would suggest The Boatyard for informal seafood, Makuti Villa's for Pizza, Kilifi Members Club (no membership necessary) for snakcs cold beer and excellent views.

Which hotel are you staying at?

2. Meals are cheap. Less than 10 GBP per person. Beers will be around 1GBP for a 500ml bottle.

3. Kilifi is very safe. There are also lots of tuk tuk's you can use.

4. In Kilifi there is not much to do. There is water sports at Mnarani, but they are very anal about non guests coming in. You could have a walk around town. That is about all.

All depends on where you are staying.

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kilifi

We stayed at Mnarani Club as recent as July and outside guests were allowed to use the hotel by day on a payment basis.

I’m NOT certain but one of the pool attendants said that there was a service charge of KS 800 which included the use of the pool and included lunch. They have to leave the hotel by a certain time in the evening.

Mentioned in this post
Mnarani Club & Spa
Mnarani Club & Spa
576 Reviews
Kilifi, Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kilifi

In October we went to Mnarani, and found their attitude to outside guests to be very cold. To go and have a beer, we had to get a wrist band from reception, which I found rather odd. Even to pay to use the water sports, we had to go to reception to get a wrist band which they wanted to charge us Kshs 1,000 per person plus cost of water sports.

They have recently been taken over by Thompson Holiday's, and have had a change of management.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kilifi

I officially love Kilifi, its like a breath of fresh air in comparison to the hard sell along other parts of the coast, Makuti Villas is great for a pizza and beer, really cheap and as the owners are Italian the pasta is also excellent. If you walk a bit further down that road you will see all the fishermen landing their catch and on a Sunday afternoon it is packed with locals cooking fish & rice, things have not changed there for years. Across the creek is Kilifi Boatyard where you can just sit & watch the world go by, you can also arrange a dhow trip wither up the creek or into the ocean at a fraction of the prices charged at other places. The town is safe to walk around and there is a new coffee shop just opened. Have to agree that the security measures at the Mnarani Club are a bit off putting but after the first couple of times they start treating you like a local and they do a great BBQ on the beach on a Wednesday night (i think). Just sit back & enjoy and think of those poor tourists walking along Bamburi Beach getting hassle with every step they take!!!

Mentioned in this post
Mnarani Club & Spa
Mnarani Club & Spa
576 Reviews
Kilifi, Kenya
Bamburi Beach
Bamburi Beach
360 Reviews
Mombasa, Kenya
Kilifi,Kenya
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kilifi

Kilifi lovers...Where are you and you are so so quiet.Anyone planning to visit Kilifi this year?

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
172 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kilifi

Used to go the the Mnarani Club (as it was) quite often a few years back, with Tropical Places, not been back since it was taken over by a SA company a few years back....we liked its laid back attitude, & staff, I remember 'Cobweb' one of the animation team fondly, and its 'no kids' approach. Kilifi and area is a wonderful place and deserves visting.

The journey (in the dark) by road from MBA was 'interesting' to say the least. Has the road improved?

Will probably go back one day...happy memories.

Mentioned in this post
Mnarani Club & Spa
Mnarani Club & Spa
576 Reviews
Kilifi, Kenya
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kilifi

Hi Kipper

The road from Mombasa to Malindi is great now apart from the manic drivers but thats cannot be improved, no potholes and if its during the day lovely scenery. As you say the Mnarani Club has been taken over & Neilsons Holidays have invested a lot of money in equipment for windsurfing etc, also the majority of the rooms have been refurbished and as usual the views are unbelievable, the food is first class and in my opinion I would travel that bit further up the coast and stay at the Mnarani or Turtle Beach Bay in Watamu.

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Malindi
Malindi
Coast Province, Kenya
Mnarani Club & Spa
Mnarani Club & Spa
576 Reviews
Kilifi, Kenya
Watamu
Watamu
Coast Province, Kenya
blackpool
Level Contributor
318 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kilifi

the mnarani club serves the bst food i have ever had, the lunches are basic, but the dinners are excellent, its friday that they do theBBQ on the beach. they have a theme night everynight, the indian night is truely awesome, the food out of this world. the kilfi boat house serves great food too,(saturday afternoons are quite good ) its filled with local white kenyons , a bit on the chauvenistic side, though. the staff at the mnarani are very nice

Edited: 22 April 2010, 21:44
Peterborough...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kilifi

Is Kilifi far from places? For example, is it going to cost alot to get to Mombasa and can that sort of thing be done in a day?

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Get answers to your questions about Kilifi