We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mnarani hotel to Masai Mara

Reading, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
Mnarani hotel to Masai Mara

Hi all

Can anyone tell me what the transfer is like from mnarani hotel to Masai Mara safari?

We have booked with thomson and are staying at mnarani hotel for two nights then transfer to Masai Mari for two nights before spending 10 nights back at hotel

Has anyone else done the same itinerary?

How long is the transfer and flight from hotel to airport for Mara flight and how long is flight?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mnarani hotel to Masai Mara

Hi Mark

It really depends on which airport you are flying from, Malindi is about a 45 minute drive from Kilifi with no traffic whilst the trek from Kilifi to Mombasa airport can be a lot longer depending on what time of the day you are travelling. We have done the journey to Mombasa Airport numerous times and its anything from 1hr 30mins up to two hours ++ again depending on traffic, if you are travelling from Malindi airport it is far better and a lovely drive through the countryside.

Reading, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mnarani hotel to Masai Mara

Thanks for the reply flying to/from Mombasa, any idea best way to pay for visa at airport?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,829 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mnarani hotel to Masai Mara

"any idea best way to pay for visa at airport?"

yes just hand over £30 per person.

You'll get in the queue quicker if you have already filled out the form in advance, download it from here

kenyahighcommission.net/khccontent/visaspass…

You will also be given a landing card on the plane, make sure you fill that out before you land as well

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mnarani hotel to Masai Mara

The flight to the Mara from Mombasa takes around 2 hours, and is routed via Ukunda (South Coast). Allowing 2 hours to get to the airport, plus 1 hour for check in etc. You will be in the Mara approx. 5-6 hours after leaving Mnarani.

Reading, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mnarani hotel to Masai Mara

British bank notes are ok then?

Which currency is best to use in Mara for drinks/tipping etc?

Thanks

Mark

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,829 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mnarani hotel to Masai Mara

Mark,

Yes, UK bank notes are fine for the visa. For tipping and day to day expenses Kenya Shillings are best. (In the lodges you can also usually run a tab and pay with a credit card)

Edited: 25 June 2013, 15:50
Reading, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mnarani hotel to Masai Mara

Which currency can I use for departure tax at airport ?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,829 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mnarani hotel to Masai Mara

Dollars, pounds or shillings but the departure tax is set in dollars at $40 which is just over £26 at the moment but because they will only accept notes the sterling price is rounded up to the next £5 so it's £30. if you have left over shillings members have recently reported it as being 3,800/-

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mnarani hotel to Masai Mara

When paying in Kenyan shillings make sure you have the correct amount as they wont have any change!!!!!

london england
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mnarani hotel to Masai Mara

Hi Bruce

I'm looking at 12th October for 2 weeks stay at Mnarani hotel killifi flying with thomson £1200 pp

Myself and hubby really want to visits mara in hope of catching a look at migration (if they're still there) we was wondering how we could cut cost by just flying there or do you think we really must use a safari company to get to the mara. I think I read that once at the mara the guides and jeeps are ready and waiting? Thank you for any help. We only have 4000£ to cover everything so once we pay the 2400 we are left with just 1600£

Get answers to your questions about Kilifi