We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passing through suggestions for places to stay??

Which Greensboro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
204 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Passing through suggestions for places to stay??

Hello,

We will be passing through from Ohio next weekend. We are looking for a hotel stay 1 night in a nice safe area. We are on our way to Hatteras NC. We were thinking of staying somewhere near Winston-Salem or Greensboro.

Any suggestions would help.

Does Winston-Salem have a large downtown?

We will probably not be there long. If we get there early we will get dinner and see some sights. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks so much.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Passing through suggestions for places to stay??

It's always hard to recommend a hotel when you don't know if people want upscale, budget, B & B, etc... there are just hundreds of hotels in the area.

As far as W-S - you won't find much downtown - especially in the evening. One nice stroll for you would be Old Salem - the restored colonial Moravian town near the downtown area. Most of the buildings would be closed in the evening, but you can stroll the streets and see the town, eat in the Tavern, visit a few gift shops. There's a B & B there - Augustus Zevely Inn across the street from Tavern - that would be a unique place to stay.

Best wishes.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Passing through suggestions for places to stay??

O'Henry Hotel or Proximity Hotel in Greensboro. They are both locally owned with suberb restaurants that use local, seasonably available foods. Both hotels are fairly new, with Proximity just being opened this year. Proximity is a certified "green" building. Both are close to a great shopping center (Friendly Center) and aren't far from downtown. Greensboro's downtown has seen lots of revitalization in recent years. A new baseball stadium, center city park, lots of shops, restaurants, etc.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
204 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passing through suggestions for places to stay??

Thanks so much !!

I will look into these. We are just looking for a nice clean room nothing fancy since we are just driving through. I think I tried Hampton Inn and it was full.

Thanks again,

Tracy

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Passing through suggestions for places to stay??

You know you can't go wrong with Hampton and I personally like Holiday Inn Express ( I'm a Priority Club member)....Hyatt Place is good too. Also - try the Marriott at Greensboro airport... lovely property and they run good weekend specials - easy to get to!

5. Re: Passing through suggestions for places to stay??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 03:19