We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Greenboro by train

Stamford, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling to Greenboro by train

Hi

I am traveling from N/Orleans to Greenboro NC by train,I think I have covered all my plans, but with one little problem!!! which I have overlooked.

The problem is that arrive at Greenboro station at 3.45am in the morning, ( May 2010) is there any taxis (cabs) at the station or will I have to book a taxi?

If anyone out there that can advise me, I would be very Grateful.

Best Wishes

eddie55

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Greenboro by train

I could bet my house that there will not be a taxi waiting. However, keep this number - 336 272-5112. That is the number of BLUE BIRD taxicabs and they operate 24 hours a day. Call them. It might take about 15 minutes before they arrive, but they will come. Have a good trip!

Stamford, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Greenboro by train

Thank-you so much, you are a lifesaver,( I am travelling from the UK)

so I guess my plan failed slightly!!! but good to know I now have a number to call a taxi...which I will keep in my mobile phone for safety.

The Hotel is the Red Roof, which I believe is five miles away from the station...so not too far.

Once again I am very grateful to you.

eddie55

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Greenboro by train

I knew you were either going to a motel or perhaps staying with a friend. I assume you will have a cell that will work here in the US. Of course, the first three digits are the area code which we do not have to dial. I'm not up to speed about foreign cells, I'm leaving that up to you. Once again, have a great trip!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Greenboro by train

I don't know about the Greensboro station but I do know that every time a train arrives in Charlotte there are taxis there because they know they will have a fare. Still good to have the contact number handy.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Greenboro by train

<<The problem is that arrive at Greenboro station at 3.45am in the morning,>>

You know that is a *very* long train trip, right? The chances of Amtrack actually being "on time" for that long of a trip is slim to none. So your actual arrival time will probably be later that day. You may want to inform the Red Roof that you're traveling via Amtrak and may be late.

The Greensboro, NC train station is actually quite nice, we use it often for trips to Washington, DC.

Have a great trip!

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Greenboro by train

Train might be the only travel option I would consider for a while when cruising through the Greensboro area of N.C. considering the bad memory I obtained during the Thanksgiving holidays. I was on my way to spend a day or two with inlaws, family in tow on a 900 mile journey when I was pulled over by law enforcement for speeding on Hwy. 29 just north of Greensboro. I was going slower than most around me, but I was speeding; that's not the issue. As I looked around I was in a line of five cars all pulled over with the whirling lights of a chase car behind each one. We hadn't gone through any ground based radar, so I assume that there was a plane moving along in tandem with the five chase cars below in a major revenue producing juggernaut. The Officer, seeing the packed car, luggage and advance Christmas gifts showing, inquired "Have you got somewhere to go in such a hurry?' Of course being that it was the day before Thanksgiving this remark felt a little smart___ and seemed designed to raise one's blood pressure, however I felt properly chastised, dwelled on being tagged for $120 or so and moved on. Sorry for unloading on you readers. I guess the moral is: Don't speed in northwestern N.C. even on open roads; take the train!

Stamford, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Greenboro by train

Thanks for all your replies,

I am hoping the train is late!!!!...as I booked into the Hotel the night, as I arrive at 3.45am I won't be able to book in till about 11ish..ooop! the plan went a bit wrong....The train journey is long! but I am travelling by myself...less to worry about!

I was thinking about hiring a car...is this a cheap thing to do? Any Ideas...I appreciate the advise about speeding!!!!

Once again I am so very Grateful to all.

My Best

eddie55

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Greenboro by train

eddie55 wrote: "I was thinking about hiring a car...is this a cheap thing to do?"

I would definitely suggest renting a car as the public transportation options in Greensboro are limited. You can rent a small car for somewhere around $35-40 per day. I would recommend Triangle Rent-a-car (link http://www.trianglerentacar.com ). They're cheaper than the national chains like Hertz and Avis. I've used them quite a few times with good experiences. You might also consider Enterprise (http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/home.do) as they will come pick you up.

Good luck, and I hope you have a safe journey!

Stamford, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Greenboro by train

Many Thanks for the two car links...that's the last job on the list of my

travel plans...looking forward to my trip.

Warmest Regards

Dail

10. Re: Traveling to Greenboro by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2010, 05:18